1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

1997 DODGE INTREPID WON'T START

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:08 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Logan Taylor
Yesterday I was coasting to a tollbooth and my car slightly backfired "puff, puff" and then died and will not restart. It turns over but won't start. Changed coil pack and still will not start I smell gas when I try to start it so I don't think it's the fuel pump or the fuel filter. Checked all fuses and relays and all were good but changed anyway. If you have any ideas that I could try please let me know. I don't know if you can call me so my # is 267-720-7094. Thank you
Logan
I just saw your post...sorry, I don't keep up like I sued to. Did you get this resolved yet? Any codes (also ck key method...looking for an 11 via key code, this w/n trip a light or detect with a scan tool). Trg unplugging the map sensor and restart. Do you get a spark? Was the timing belt ever changed? These should get you on track eith some ideas. Let me know if you still need help, I can give you a call.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Cougar1068
My son was driving my '97 3.5 the other day when the water pump sprung a leak, replaced it and made sure the timing belt was undamaged but now it won't start. Replaced battery cause it was cranking at half speed, no help. Also replaced the coil just in case. Starter is only 6 months old. Anyone know why it cranks so slow and won't start?
Did you ensure the timing belt didn't move the crank or cams? They may be out.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Frankie Martinez
Default Car will not start

So i have a 1997 dodge intrepid i just recently replaced the igniton coil and when i did my car ran for like five min and stop the car shut down and left me stranded now my car will not start it cranks but wont turn over i dont know whats wrong with it i need answers

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 PM
cain2005

Not sure if the question was answered, but the OP mentioned having recenlt changed the starter. I recently had my starter rebuilt, and went through a similar situation to where my conclusion was "i had a bad rebuilt starter". After a while I figured out the starter was installed improperly (backwards).

Also, have a look at the black distribution box under the hood (front right location), and check your fuses. Swap your wiper fuse for the starter fuse to test if that's the cause. Examine the connection of the wires to the relay for any problems.

If you can confirm your ignition switch is fine, more than likely there is a relay problem.

To the LP - Sounds like it's still the ignition coil that's the problem. If it's installed properly, change your spark plugs (if needed) to the cheaper gold ones, and test your battery and alternator. When did you last change the spark plug wires? How is your temperatures..is it running hot?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 PM
CherylKopp-evans
Angry

frustrated as all get up, my '97 dodge intrepid, 3.3 will not crank over. I had replaced the fuel pump and filter, the crank shaft sensor, computer and coil pack. please help. I can not get any codes whatsoever. I am desperate and need some answers. Already lost my job due to it. I need my car

Old 06-25-2013, 08:54 PM
Rickyp601

Mine is doing the same thing, do you know where the fuse for the Ecu is at?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:57 PM
elf2577
Default 1994 dodge intrepid

I can not find the ecu in the 94 dodge intrepid .

Quick Reply: 1997 DODGE INTREPID WON'T START