Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Cars > Dodge Intrepid > 1st Gen Intrepid
Reload this Page > Engine stopped running while driving
Notices
1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Engine stopped running while driving

Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 PM
mullyman
Exclamation 1997 Intrepid will not start

I bought this car for my son who is 16, car ran fine when we test drove it, drove it home (about 35 miles) he drove it for a week and it quit at his high school parking lot. I picked him up and started the car, ran fine for a half of mile, and quit. waited for 5 mins, it started back up, and I drove it home (about 3 miles). next morning went to start it and it wouldn't start. we changed the in line fuel filter and it started right up and weran for 3 miles and it is was fine, the next morn it wouldn't start, and it still wont. I checked the fuell pump and it seems to be fine, getting power when crnaling over. we also shot some fluid thru the throat and it still wont start. any suggestions?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:30 PM
MoparManJoe
Angry Power Loss

I was sitting at a stop light...light turned green took my foot off of the brake and depressed the accelerator...and nothing happened...this is the first time this has happened to me with this car ive only had for approximately 4 months...i tried the key trick....it isn't throwing any codes out any suggestions?

Old 07-16-2016, 11:33 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparManJoe View Post
I was sitting at a stop light...light turned green took my foot off of the brake and depressed the accelerator...and nothing happened...this is the first time this has happened to me with this car ive only had for approximately 4 months...i tried the key trick....it isn't throwing any codes out any suggestions?
No codes, poor idle and then dies. Push the gas pedal to the floor and you may be able to get it run poorly = bad map sensor (sticking internally so no code...engine computer just gets a bad value and adjusts the timing incorrectly). To verify, disconnect the plug from the sensor and see if she will run (this will cause a light , code and limited power but you can drive it home). If that is what happens, replace the sensor, very easy.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:35 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mullyman View Post
I bought this car for my son who is 16, car ran fine when we test drove it, drove it home (about 35 miles) he drove it for a week and it quit at his high school parking lot. I picked him up and started the car, ran fine for a half of mile, and quit. waited for 5 mins, it started back up, and I drove it home (about 3 miles). next morning went to start it and it wouldn't start. we changed the in line fuel filter and it started right up and weran for 3 miles and it is was fine, the next morn it wouldn't start, and it still wont. I checked the fuell pump and it seems to be fine, getting power when crnaling over. we also shot some fluid thru the throat and it still wont start. any suggestions?
No codes, poor idle and then dies. Push the gas pedal to the floor and you may be able to get it run poorly= bad map sensor (sticking internally so no code...engine computer just gets a bad value and adjusts the timing incorrectly). To verify, disconnect the plug from the sensor and see if she will run (this will cause a light , code and limited power but you can drive it home). If that is what happens, replace the sensor, very easy.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Tracy355

I have the same problem with mine, it would stall all of a sudden, it seemed like when it warmed up, there was no engine light and I took it in to get it checked and they said it was a crankshaft positioning sensor, I changed it four different times, one of the times I was with the OEM One and each time and had a different problem then it would be hard starting, and after 2000 RPM it surges. That's where I'm at now about ready to drive it into the river