1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

97 Intrepid Dash lights/rear lights out

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
arctichail14
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Intrepid Dash lights/rear lights out

I have a 1997 Dodge Intrepid that while i was going down the road my horn went off constantly and finally it stopped. But when it did my dash back lights went out and my rear lights went out. So i can no longer see how fast im going at night. My gauges seem to be a little sluggish as well. My brake lights work, and so do my turn signals. Also when i purchased the car all of the interior cab lights were out so i changed all of the little fuses in the cab. But to no avail it didnt solve that problem either. It would be highly appreciated if someone could help me with my problem.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:10 AM
acridcola

Might be the headlight switch.

The BCM on my car has automatic lights too, it uses the same black/yellow wire from the headlight switch.

If your headlights work, it's probably the switch or the fuse.

Check fuse #9 first, it's parking lights and instrument lighting.

Otherwise you probably have a short somewhere in the harness, the horn problem might be a sign something is wrong with the fuse block or harness or connectors on the fuse block.

You have anti theft or an alarm?

Last edited by acridcola; 02-07-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:46 PM
arctichail14

To my knowlege i don't have an alarm system, but if i do then WOOT! i suppose, unless its causing me so much trouble. Also i forgot to mention that the car came with an aftermarket cd player. I was wondering if possibly when someone was installing it that they rewired/cut random cords which might cause my issues. But i will go and check if my fuses are bad and change them if needed. Thank you for your reply .

Last edited by arctichail14; 02-08-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
acridcola

The alarm, If you have one, could also be a problem. They tend to be hooked in to the horn and parking lights.

If you already checked the fuses and don't see anything wrong and checked the headlight switch,

Then I would take the lower part of dash off and look at the wiring and fuse panel.

It's pretty easy to take off.
Phillips screw driver and a couple metric sockets.

The black cover below the shifter just pops out, pull the rear side up first. I didn't bother taking off the shift ****. You can with a allen wrench
Pull off the two side panels by the doors.
Take off the 2 kick plates driver and passenger side floor, 4 screws.
4 screws in the glove box. 2 up front, 2 way in back.
Get the AC/Heater vent covers off, center one just pops out, the sides have 1 screw on the side, then they will pop out. There are 5/6 more screws behind them for the lower dash.
6 metric 13 bolts I think, 2 on each door jamb and 2 nuts back behind the ash tray. Also a ground strap to the back of radio if it's still installed.

Be careful trying to pull the dash out. Unhook the connectors; trunk button, glove box light, 2 for the ac/heater, 2 on the stock radio, 2 on the lighter and the light for the ashtray. Watch out for the round lighter wire and try not to ground it on anything or you'll blow a fuse. Think its fuse #8 same as the horns fuse.

I just went through a similar thing. A lot of the special features on my car never worked. I bought the car used.

Door ajar light, chime warnings for lights left on, key in ignition, dome light problems, heated mirror and defroster etc.

I took the dash apart and found someone had installed and then ripped out an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry but left all the things they changed with the wiring.

Wires were cut off connectors and spliced together or just left unhooked.

Once I redid those, everything worked.

Also see if the hazard lights work????

If the car had/has anti theft, the only other thing I can think of is the body control module got messed up. That is the only place aside from the fuse panel that includes the horn circuit, but you need a special scan tool to test it.

Last edited by acridcola; 02-09-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 AM
arctichail14

I do appreciate what you have told me and i'm sorry that its been so long sice the last time i've posted, but I totaled my car in a car wreck so this problem is somewhat irrelovent now. So i'm thinking about getting a 98' toyota camery LE. If you think this is a good change then please let me know and if you know what I should look out for that will be helpful too.

Quick Reply: 97 Intrepid Dash lights/rear lights out