1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

1997 Intrepid Fuel Problem? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM
97Intrepid35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Intrepid Fuel Problem? Or something else?

Hi there.. sorry I'm new to Dodge forums and any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Car Specs:
1997 Dodge Intrepid
3.5L V6

Well here is my problem. I actually just bought this car, unfortunetly as-is situtation, I tried getting money back but no go. I test drove the car and everything was great, but about 1 mile down the road the car just shut off and would not start for about 2 hrs. Then when I finally got it started again(no idea what I did) it died again about 1 mile later. I pulled the fuel filter and it was pretty clogged and replaced with a new one. The car started up after some good cranking(I'm sure just repressurizing) it idled great, I waited for it to warm up and begin giving a bit of gas and it was ok until I got to about 3k rpm and it died again and wouldnt start. I started fiddling with all kinds of stuff, buddy of mine recommended he had an intrepid that did something like this and he pulled open the gas cap cranked a few times closed gas cap and he would start. Fortunetly this actually worked, it started but the idle was erratic going from 400 - 1500 rpms running really rough and any gas i gave to it, it would rev up a little sound like its starving for fuel die. I have spark, and the fuel pump works, i pulled off a hose from the fuel filter and cranked(shot gas out quite well) and also makes a noise when key in on position. I am almost out of money and need help really bad. I will be testing the pressure tomm, but until then any help would be greatly appreciated. Specially if all tests well tomm. Thanks in advance! Sorry guys im so use to carburated engines its not even funny so these are a bit foreign but im not dumb. If you recommend a part to test or replace please tell me its location(or what it looks like) too thanks.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 PM
97Intrepid35

Sorry and also the check engine light has not come on at all.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 PM
97Intrepid35

Update:: Alright went to the local junk yard today after hours of trying to start car and picked up used ECM, installed and car still wouldn't start. Started messing around with coil pack and removed connector and put back in a it started and ran great actually drove home. I took it to advanced and hooked up to code scanner deal and found out it the check engine light had been disengaged. Picked up 5 errors. Coils packs A,B,C and bad TCM module.. tranny won't go into 3rd, and then goes into what they call "limp" mode.. wierd. Changing coil pack tomm and changing tranny fluid, not sure if its ATF+4 but it will be. I know not all this has to do with what post is about but figured I'd share my expierence with the 97 dodge intrepid.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
92dak5.24x4
Veteran

Scrap prices are up right now... Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it? without having enough mechanical knowledge or proper diagnostic equipement, solving your delema on the internet is nearly impossible.

Quick Reply: 1997 Intrepid Fuel Problem? Or something else?