1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Steering problem....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:10 PM
mr freeze
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering problem....

I have a 1996 concorde which is roughly the same as the intrepid and I have a problem with the steering.When I jack it up the wheel on the passenger side I can push the wheel in and out like side to side.The drivers side doesnt do this.What part could it be thats worn out that can cause this? When I drive its like a rattling noise.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Java Jack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely the steering bushings or tie rod bushings. I had the same problem on my daughters intrepid. Steering got really sloppy.

Replaced both the steering rack bushings along with the tie rod bushings and it made a big difference.

Steering is still a little sloppy because I have not gotten around to replacing the lower control rod bushings.

The Steering rack bushings were about $15.00 and the tie rod bushings were about $30 from the auto parts store.

The tie rod bushings were fairly easy to replace, but you need a wedge tool to knock it loose. I borrowed one from the auto parts store.

Note, you will need to get an alignment done once you are finished.

The steering rack bushings were not too hard to replace, but it was more labor intensive. You end up laying on top of the motor to get to them. You also have to remove some of the back engine components to get clearence to get in there and work.

I followed the directions here...

http://www.allpar.com/fix/intrepid-steering.html

Old 06-27-2010, 04:48 AM
jarrod27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when your moving it back and forth look at you outer tie rod and if it has movment it probally bad expecially if the rubber protecting it is bad. Also look at the inner tie rod rubber bushings and see if they look worn they are only 11.00 from autozone for the set but people usally install them wrong so they go out. You must install the washer on the firewall side of the bushings not under the bolt plate...the bolt plate will squish the bushings if you do it wrong. And when you move the tire back and forth look at the rack and if the whole rack moves back and forth then the bushings are gone..the rh or passanger sides a a breeze to change just unbolt them and get a replacement ...but your lh or driver side is a diffrent story you have to pull the rack and get a special miller tool #8523-1 &2 and rent a ball joint press you just have to make it work with the ball joint press because it made for a special miller press but I got away with it and pay $30 for a set of bushings and rent a ball joint press probally for over $100 and set it in a vise and press the new bushings in the rack. I just did all this to a intrepid.

Quick Reply: Steering problem....