1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

97 Intrepid Serious Issue Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Gordo1717
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Intrepid Serious Issue Please Help

97 Dodge Intrepid Extremely Important Question Seeking Any Help!!!!
Last night i left and drove maybe 10 minutes on the back roads. I came to a stop sign and the engine shut off without much noise or anything at all. I was on a slight incline and i thought i had run out of gas since i was a little low. The only thing that even told me the car turned off was the oil low light came on. This happened once a few days ago also at a stop sign, i put it in park and it started right back up and other than a few bumps or hesistations mainly on the freeway in cruise control (happened maybe 5 times in a 2 week time) i was a little concerned the first time but it started right back up and didnt really give me much sign something major was wrong. Last night however i got 2 hesitations and low to medium bumps at the same time within 2-3 minutes it shut off for the second time. This time however it did not start again. It cranked fine, battery and terminals are fine, and i just replaced the fuel pump maybe 3 months ago with a brand new one. i had a loose positive wire but tightened it a few weeks back. The first time the oil light came on and it shut off i checked the oil and found out it was extremely low and i added 3 quarts of 5w 30 and thought that had to be the reason. Just a few days later car shuts off and will not start again. I know some about cars but not everything, i figured its only a few systems that could cause the problem. Fuel, Ignition on plugs or wires(but i would have thought i would have noticed more issues while running than i did) the mixture of gas and air, air intake blocked or is to large, a sensor maybe but i am not real sure what they all do or where they are, or even which could cause this problem. Im sure there is something else it could be and i apologize for the length of my post, but i really need to get this fixed as its all i have. If anyone can help please respond and if anyone really wants to be nice my cell is 610-823-8356 and i will be struggling to figure it out all day tommorrow. Thanks in advance and i hope someone knows what the hell happened.

I hooked up to the on board computer and got two codes P0351 and P0352 both are coil issues. I have not figured out what the problem is. I have checked the coil packs and they seem to be fine, wires and plugs seem to be ok. Im hoping that its not the computer but if anyone has any suggestions i would appreciate it.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
jc2168021680
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have a similar situation. Car shut down at a stop after driving a few miles. Added 3 quarts of oil which brought it up to the add mark. It won't start now and makes a chirping sound when cranking, acts like the battery is low as well. I'm worried that the chirping sound is a burnt piston scraping the cylinder wall. Had to get a ride to work after towing back to the house, going to do a compression check tonight.

Last edited by jc2168021680; 08-31-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 97 Intrepid Serious Issue Please Help