1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Fair price for '94 Intrepid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 06:29 PM
Variant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fair price for '94 Intrepid?

I hope this is the right place to post this. If not, kindly slap me upside the head and relocate it.

I'm the proud owner of a 1994 Dodge Intrepid with about 140k miles on it... 3.5L, V6. I'm looking to either sell it or donate it to charity (and write it off). I was actually leaning towards the latter, but someone at work is interested in buying it. He's taken a look at it and offered me $700 -- not being very car savvy I'm curious what you all think.

It appears that a 1994 Intrepid ES with said mileage blue books for a bit over $2000. However, mine has some problems... no compressor being the main one (it blew up a while ago and needs replacing). Also, mechanics think there are possible problems with the EFI (?) or fuel system causing the car to make a "tapping" noise in the engine. The noise has always been there for as long as I can remember... and no one has really been able to give me a definite cause/fix short of "replace the engine". However, it's always kept running (I've had the car since about 70k miles).

The front tires need replacing (alignment is off a bit) and probably some new brake pads as well. Paint is also peeling in several spots as is typical of these Intrepids it seems...

Aside from that, the car is in surprisingly good shape. Never had any electrical problems with it, and it doesn't leak oil, transmission is fine, it passes emissions without a hitch too. Starts up right away, etc, etc...

So, does $700 sound like too low of a price given the problems I've listed above? Too high? I'm wondering if I'd stand to make a little more $$ by donating it to charity (I assume I could write it off for the $2k blue book then?).

Anyways, just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance, and go easy on the noob!

Old 03-22-2004, 06:48 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fair price for '94 Intrepid?

Welcome!!

I think $700 is low, even with the problems. If he offered closer $1,000, I'd say consider it... but you could likely sell it to some dumb kid for $1,500 or more... Charity is a good idea... can't you call and find out what the write off is before donating it? It'll make you feel good, be a larger gain financially in the long run and it'll help someone else... I'd say Charity... depending on the write off amount you get.

~Amanda

Old 03-22-2004, 07:34 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

I agreee with Amanda, $700 is too low, I'd go for at least 1K, if not more. Charity IS a good thing.
[sm=smiley4.gif]

Old 03-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Variant

Thanks for the reply guys. I probably will end up selling it since I am moving, and the extra $$ right now will be handy to help with moving costs. $700 is low, but the lack of A/C problem is magnified a bit by the fact that we're in Arizona where it's brutal during the summer.

I may see if he would go up to $900, but since he's kinda a friend, and it's looking like I'll need to get rid of it in a pinch, I may have to sell it for a "bargain". Oh well.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, let us know what happens anyway...

~Amanda

Quick Reply: Fair price for '94 Intrepid?