1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Engine Shut down while driving!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 02:30 AM
MZK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Shut down while driving!!

Hello
I have a 1995 dodge intrepid, 120k, but in great shape aside from temepermental A/C never had any major problems with it. Today while driving on a highway my engine just shut off. rpms dropped to 0 and i was just coasting. I had to pull over ( no easy task) restart the car, which it did with no problem and limp home. I have not yet started poking around yet so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what this might be? I have a sneaking suspicion it might be the tran but im hoping its something else. Any ideas?
MZK

Old 06-25-2006, 02:43 AM
05ocsrt4
Rookie
Default RE: Engine Shut down while driving!!

before you jump on the trans, test out the fuel and spark, it might be that your fuel pump is going bad, or the relay for it, but test it first, don't just replace it

Old 07-20-2006, 04:49 AM
paulwall

The same thing happened to my 95 intrepid. In my case it was the crank shaft position sensor, which is
located on the passenger side, bell transmission housing. You have to remove the air duct to the manifold,
the EGR valve, jack the car up, crawl under it and replace the sensor. It's held in place by one bolt.
Replacing it fixed my problem.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:29 AM
CACKRB

Don't look at the crank position sensor, if it was that you would not be able to restart the car.
Try the feul filter, The EGR or the camsfaft position sensor.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

I had the same proble (twice now)! The first time, I didn't have a fault light where as the second time I did. Both times it was the map sensor sticking. They appear to seize up after a while. You can test this by disconnectiong the ele. connector from the sensor (a small black box screwed in the intake manifold on the rt side of the eng). The compouter will use a general vaule for the "limp home mode" and while the engine will run a bit rough, the problem should go away. If it does, the sensor is easy to change and runs about $50. If not this, the fuel filter/pump sound the best but this is an easy free ck!

Quick Reply: Engine Shut down while driving!!