1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

codes 51 and 52 '95 intrepid

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Bob/Paul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default codes 51 and 52 '95 intrepid

I just bought a '95 intrepid this summer. Come fall I noticed it would often have trouble starting if it was below 20F or so, which should be plenty warm for it! The car will turn over, but never start up. (It sounds like a lawn mower that needs a tune up at the beginning of the season.. you pull and it gets SO close, but never goes.) You can really start to smell the gas after trying for a while.

Often if I just keep trying it will eventually start. The other day it didn't. Tried it again in the morning (35F) and it started just fine, so I drove it home. On the way the check engine light came on. When I started it later it didn't come on.

I clicked the key on and off 3 times and the check engine light blinked 12 51 52 55. Anyone know what might be up?

Old 01-04-2007, 01:59 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: codes 51 and 52 '95 intrepid

The engine codes are either right or left (to determine you need to go to an Auto Zone ect, and have them read the code with a scan tool. You should have a 171, 172, 174, or 175) frontor rear fuel rich or lean (as detected by the O2 sensors). My assumption is rich (172, & 175), because you flooded it.As for your hard start, I'm not sure this is of any help to you.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Bob/Paul

I like you explanation of what's wrong. It sounds like every hard start I've had has been due to flooding as the symptoms were always the same; it just usually started eventually. I thought I was free of this now that I have a fuel injected car. Also since I've only had problems related to temp, I was expecting it to be something else.

Your code explanation confused me as everything I'd read has said the codes are each 2 digits. As I've done more research it sounds like maybe you thought my code shows on my odometer? That's newer cars.

I just found this:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html If you browse, they also have the codes for the newer set that you quoted above.

12 is battery disconnected recently. (which I'd read elsewhere)
51 is O2 sensor stuck lean
52 is 02 sensor stuck rich
55 is end of sequence (which I read elsewhere).

52 would explain my hard starts as rich fuel could cause it to flood. From what I've read, cars flood easier if it's cold, so that's the temp aspect.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-07-2007, 11:37 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

The codes you are looking at are from the key code method. They can be linked via the Intrepid manual (which I used for you). The three digit code I was refering to was the ODBII scan tool code. It is a bit more accurate. If you do not have your own reader (from $50-200 for a reader/reseter), stores such as Auto Zone, will scan you car for free. You can just write the code down and then research this standard code on-line for its meaning.

Yes the 12 is the bat, and I don't think the scan tool even registers this one (the the key code is correct). That is why I didn't mention it. It is kind of useless info and seems to trip even if you havent disconnected the battery. 55 is the blink to let you know the code readout is over, that is also correct. The other two are a bit more diffuicult and could be caused by the other read outs I mentioned before.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Bob/Paul

Oh alright. ODBII wasn't out until 96, though some 95 models support it. The 95 intrepid does not. I tried to get a $100 Walmart reader before I found the key click method and had to return it. Thanks again!

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

No problem. One last thought though, ODBII became a standard across auto manufactures (Ford, Dodge ect), and each signed on at diffrent times with diffrent models, but prior to that, each brand still had a computer interface reader. I don't know what you car has, but I'm sure if you go to a local parts store, they could point you in the right direction. If you plan to keep the car, it may be a worthwile investment.

Quick Reply: codes 51 and 52 '95 intrepid