1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:38 PM
jakedlee16
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering springs

ok i got new springs for my 95 and i need to kno how to put them in .. i could wing it and get it done in liek 3 years or with yer guys help problyu a day so lemme hear it .. i know i have to undo the strut and **** liek thtat i just dont know how im suppose to compress the springs ... im not to surte what compressing the sprins is i just hear everyone telllin i need a spring compressor and an impact wrench .,.. wtf wouldl i need an impact wrench for im going to work now but at 11 oclock id love to come home and see what you guys said to me i need to get these in asap

Old 04-21-2007, 07:22 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lowering springs

get a coil spring compressor and an impact....other wise you will have a hell of a time getting the top strut bolt undone and have a hell of a time tightening the compressors on the spring...

once the strut os removed from the car, install the spring compressors and tighten them down......then unbolt the top strut bolt.....then remove spring and the strut mount......its really easy

DO NOT UNBOLT THE TOP STRUT BOLT WITHOUT HAVING THE COMPRESSORS INSTALLED....IVE SEEN THOSE COIL SPRINGS GO FLYING ACROSS GARAGES BEFORE

here is what the coil spring compressors that i use look like....they shouldnt be more then $20 at any autoparts store

[IMG]local://upfiles/29901/202971CD4FC54938BE1EB5B0425294B6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2007, 02:47 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

an inpact will help a lot too . .. i just did mine and you wont need the spring compressors for the rear set just the front. kind of a pain to do but well worth it.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM
jakedlee16
Professional

how long will it take ... a little more detail into this be real nice .. a how too would kick ***

Old 04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
jakedlee16
Professional

why dont i need them for the back do i just unbolt everything with no worrys on the rear?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:07 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would still reccomend using the compressors on the rears.....

time wise, it all depends on how fast you work and if you know what you are doin....you cant really ask sumone a question like this and expect a good answer.....i can get it done in about 20min. per strut....but i have all air tools and know what im doin......so i owuld say that it might take you between 1 hour and 1,000 hours to get all 4 done

a haynes manual has a step by step on remove the spring....

Old 04-23-2007, 01:13 AM
jakedlee16
Professional

**** i never even thought to look into my manual .. i got one out and in but it was a pain in the **** with just guess and attempt with everything .. not to mention i used a seperate jack to compress the spring so it was nice and interesting .. o well 3 tomarrow with a little better time sinc ei kno what to do and if i forget ill chek my manual

Quick Reply: lowering springs