Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:04 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding Chrysler’s 2.0L Engine

ok seriously...

What it says doesent matter...

Thats just to get every last drip out of the cam...
You can run a crane 14 on a stock bottom end and otherwise stock head and you will get damn nice gains... however the cam will not give you its all... they crave to breath... so you p&p the head get a AMM intake manifold a long tube header and 2.5 in exhuast and up the compression by throwing DOHC pistons in there and it will give you every last drop of power it can...

so no you do not need a p&p head... you do not NEED to throw it in a RT... it will fit it will work... just wont give you every drop it could...

Old 05-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

Hmmm, Awesome.

I have a short tube header but know I need a long tube race header after what I see one do to a L1 motor.
Ok, so I'm back to the COMP Cam I have been looking at now.

I don't mean to sound retarded but what is an AMM manifold ? See, I have a 55mm throttle body and was planing on running a Ram Air from it about
4 inches up to a scoop on the hood... But, I am useing the stock plastic intake below the throttle body.

I have some sealed power pistons in stock size. I just emailed someone to see if I could trade them in if they were the wrong size after hone'n bore'n( plus get the DOHC). I was planning on getting a turbo when I ordered the SOHC size...

Old 05-24-2008, 04:41 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Durnald_Toad

Hmmm, Awesome.

I have a short tube header but know I need a long tube race header after what I see one do to a L1 motor.
Ok, so I'm back to the COMP Cam I have been looking at now.

I don't mean to sound retarded but what is an AMM manifold ? See, I have a 55mm throttle body and was planing on running a Ram Air from it about
4 inches up to a scoop on the hood... But, I am useing the stock plastic intake below the throttle body.

I have some sealed power pistons in stock size. I just emailed someone to see if I could trade them in if they were the wrong size after hone'n bore'n( plus get the DOHC). I was planning on getting a turbo when I ordered the SOHC size...
The AMM (All motor mike) intake manifold is a $550 fully ported and gasketmatched, casting flaws removed, injector humps removed, box manifold. Plus its sexy as hell...
First one is off a car... second one is the one I have installed...
Name:  pbpic095.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  58.9 KB
Name:  IMG_2080.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  133.2 KB

The problem with the sealed power pistions are they all are the same... dohc and sohc are the exact same pistion... they all come with the lower compression of the sohc... even if they say they are for dohc, they will fit... just lower compression... and if you going to go turbo why not just go to your junk yard get a 100 dollar short block 2.4 put srt internalls in it for less then 400 bucks then boost the **** out of it... on those pistions you could probally push 12psi max... more then stock but way more to be had for a bit more money...

and why in gods name are you messing around with a little baby comp 400 cam... they have pretty much the same lift as a crane 12 without the overlap... seriously go with a crane 14 or nothing... just my opinion though...

Old 05-24-2008, 04:56 AM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

I change my mind on getting a turbo awhile back.

I will look into the Crane 14. All I have the money for is a cam and a little left over for labor to put it in.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:03 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

well your going to need to know where to look for a used crane 14... you can get perfect used ones for around 200... and you will need the crane springs... the magnum springs wont be good enuf...

Old 05-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

ORIGINAL: 95to96transplantneon

well your going to need to know where to look for a used crane 14... you can get perfect used ones for around 200... and you will need the crane springs... the magnum springs wont be good enuf...
Where can I get one w/ springs ?

Will I be able to drive it further than a 1/4 mile at a time ?

Also, 95to96transplantneon, what do you have left in your "For Sale Post" ?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:46 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

pm me your email addy in I'll show you where you can find them... i cant exactly put the link up the forum wont let me... lol

Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

95to96,
I've looked threw the posts of the For Sale threads and have seen a bunch of neat things.

I wasn't able to locate a Crane 14. In fact, I haven't even been able to find a new one.
Crane #1, #2, #3 and two Comp cams is all I can find.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Durnald_Toad
Rookie

Ok, I found a New Crane Cam Rad/Drag 158-0014 for a little over $300.

I figured I will get a race header too... I already have a Type R catback on the car.

What would I have to do to the head to get it ready ? Just a port and polish ?

This Crane Cam sounds like it might be too much for my motor. I already warped a crankshaft on the other motor.
I guess I should have the 2ndcrank heat treated while I have it out.
I have the pistons(I guess I will use them), new timing belt/water pump/tensioner, full gasket kit w/ bolts, is there anything I am missing ? What parts will I need for the cam install ?

Finding a nice AMM intake would be nice too

Old 05-27-2008, 12:49 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

I'll sell you mine for 375 plus shipping... however it will have to go into AMM to get fixed first... when i got it the tb bolt holes were stripped...

new they go for 550...

and as far as the cam goes... trust me... it will be perfectly fine... you can drop them in an otherwise stock neon...(besides the springs) and they work wonderfully... you will notice a slight loop in your idle but nothing that will affect driveablility and your mpg will only drop by about 1-2 mpg... the cool thing is the more breathing mods you get the better the cam will work... so you will get a gain from the mod you add whether it be a bigger tb, intake exhaust.. p&p... but you will gain more from the cam 2...

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Chrysler’s 2.0L Engine