1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

HELP!! Did I Kill my Neon???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
sib97
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Did I Kill my Neon???

The other night i was driving in my 1997 Plymouth neon expresso and my car started to over heat. But i did'nt know until it lost power and just cut off. So when i looked under the hood the Radiator Hose came off. So i waited for it to cool down and then walked to the shell gas and picked up some antifreeze. Then i put it in and tryed to start the car but it would'nt start. I can hear the starter when i turn the key but it won't start. I also checked the oil, gas and battery. But it still won't start so i had it towed home. Also i'm not sure if it matters but the engine light had been on and started flashing, and there was this large knocking sound when i steped on the gas. Please Help Thanks.

P.S It's a 1997 plymouth neon expresso, Auto, SOHC.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 PM
prplhaze
Professional
Default RE: HELP!! Did I Kill my Neon???

So...the hose came off and that would cause a lot of fluid to splash on engine.You didnt smell anything?..or see any smoke? Are you saying the car is NOT turning over now? "I can hear the starter when i turn the key but it Turn over.".. ? Im just wondering how long it ran with no antifreeze whatsoever going thru it.Dont sound good.I would pour some more oil in engine...to get some oil on the topside of engine. If it dont crank over, theres a chance a piston froze...or you possibly overheated and damaged other things...Did it make any weird noises in the engine when it died?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 PM
sib97

Sorry. It turns over but it just won't start. This happened at night so i did'nt see anything. By the time i noticed it was running hot it just cut off.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 PM
prplhaze
Professional

Ok, so next step would be to check if it's getting spark or not.You can pull any spark plug out and just rest it on a piece of metal somewhere, and have someone turn it over to see if it's sparking or not.I would also be looking for any signs of heat damage.Like melted wires or sensors.I dunno...without doing more research on your end, it's very hard for us to tell you what the problem is.

"and there was this lager kncking when i steped on the gas.".....can you explain that more.? are you trying to say there was a large knock in the engine before it died.?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:39 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

i would say you blew a head gasket and or warped the head and you have no compression have it compression tested

Quick Reply: HELP!! Did I Kill my Neon???