1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

tb question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:50 PM
winplet1971
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tb question

i was wondering if using a tb spacer will make any diffrence(mods are as listed #12 cams,short header,performance exhaust no cat,cai,soon to be a auto tb added,spacer would be 1/4 think

Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: tb question

My homemade throttlebody spacer owns in the high range, my SOHC revs very high and pulls really fast up to 5800rpm prior to the spacer it had no guts after 5300. my spacer is only 3/4 of an inch high and I made it out of an extra intake I had. I cut the TB base off with a chop saw and used RTV to seal it off, when modding it this way the base will fit inside the TB gasket on your car and partly on the gasket, but as long as you silicone it good enough you'll be fine. I drove mine as quick as it took me to put it together. But I would recomend waiting a half hour to an hour to drive hard on it till the silicone sets up. Also you will need 2 bolts a half inch longer than the stock TB bolts and thats it.

The gains have been worth it! it has high end galore now, if I had a 5 speed the thing would be unstoppable. I was a skeptic until I got on it hard and it threw me back like never before. I think it has about 6-10 hp in the highs possibly, I didnt dyno it butI know you can really feel the gains and it paid off big time in a race against a RIO.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
95neonriceeater
Record Breaker

there was an aftermarket throttle spacer that was only $30 and gave 3 hp on the dyno

Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: 95neonriceeater

there was an aftermarket throttle spacer that was only $30 and gave 3 hp on the dyno
they usually go around $100 thats why i home built mine and the gain is alot more than 3hp to the wheels.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Slashwannabe

My homemade throttlebody spacer owns in the high range, my SOHC revs very high and pulls really fast up to 5800rpm prior to the spacer it had no guts after 5300. my spacer is only 3/4 of an inch high and I made it out of an extra intake I had. I cut the TB base off with a chop saw and used RTV to seal it off, when modding it this way the base will fit inside the TB gasket on your car and partly on the gasket, but as long as you silicone it good enough you'll be fine. I drove mine as quick as it took me to put it together. But I would recomend waiting a half hour to an hour to drive hard on it till the silicone sets up. Also you will need 2 bolts a half inch longer than the stock TB bolts and thats it.

The gains have been worth it! it has high end galore now, if I had a 5 speed the thing would be unstoppable. I was a skeptic until I got on it hard and it threw me back like never before. I think it has about 6-10 hp in the highs possibly, I didnt dyno it butI know you can really feel the gains and it paid off big time in a race against a RIO.
No way in hell did you get 6-10 hp, spacers really only give better throttle response, and a COUPLE horsepower, if you could get 8 horsepower for nothing, everybody on this site would have one. Not saying it isnt a cool mod, but there is no way you get that much horsepower.

Quick Reply: tb question