1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

speed gov???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
estneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: speed gov???

i mean't braking at those speeds if there was a emergency and you hadto go to a complete stopthebrakes and someother areaswould probably not survive the braking i do think they can handle driving 120-160 just don't be stupid with them at that speed and it should beok. i should have said it diffrent sorry.
i was thinking could you just make a new speed'o system and then take off the old so you can fool the system on there you could even get a gauge that reads up to 160 or a gauge that reads up to 200 they do make those and whould be a nice upgrade

Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
NYG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: estneon

i mean't braking at those speeds if there was a emergency and you hadto go to a complete stopthebrakes and someother areaswould probably not survive the braking i do think they can handle driving 120-160 just don't be stupid with them at that speed and it should beok. i should have said it diffrent sorry.
i was thinking could you just make a new speed'o system and then take off the old so you can fool the system on there you could even get a gauge that reads up to 160 or a gauge that reads up to 200 they do make those and whould be a nice upgrade
Braking would not make the car fall apart

However I don't use cheap Brake Pads - but I do run stock brake calipers and stock Rotors(Per the Rules)!

My Average speed at Daytona is only about 80 MPH

So lets discuss braking - and I am going to use Daytona as an example:

Start/Finish Line - we get the Green Flag and we floor it! Accelerate up to maybe 80 or 90mph and we braketo about 45mph for turn 1
Accelerate again to about 70 or 80 mph to brake again down to about 40mph for turn 2
Accelerate to about 80mph and lift on the throttle for turn 3 and back on the gas to about 90mph to braketo about 35mph for turn 4
Accelerate to about 75mph and braketo about 55mph for turn 5
Accelerate to about 105mph and braketo about 75mph for the bus stop (Turns 6 & 7)
Accelerate to max 120+ around Nascar Turns 3 and 4 and head for the Start/Finish Line to do it all again for 10 to 16 laps depending on what kind of Race Event is for that weekend

And I do this on average 3 to 6 times a weekend pending on the race - so for Saturday I havePractice andI will run about 10 laps in the morning, then late morning or early Afternoon I will do another 10 or 12 laps for Qualify, and then do another 10 to 16 laps for the race late afternoon on that day and if it is a double event weekend.I get torepeat Saturdays schedule on Sunday.

All of those speeds can very by +\- 10MPH - as rarely am I watching the speedometer - usually I am in race traffic and watching other cars or setuping for my next apex!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

i just heard that the brake caliperswern't strong enoughon the neons to go that fastmaby my friendwas wrong i might not fear going that fast anymore thanks guys...now all i have to fear is the tires poping at those speedsso i take back what i said.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Slashwannabe

Yeah the only scarey part of going over 100 with the Neon wasbeing worried about theTires, and any car you go over 100 with you should be worried about the tires no matter how fast you goin' lol.

Never once did I worry about the construction of the car as it was really stable and didnt even seem like I was going over 100 as far as handling goes, it stuck to the road and gripped it well, the other thing I actually worried about was breaking if something happened at that speedbut thats with any car, ask a 1968 GTX with a 440 going 140mph to stop quick wont happen!...lol My dad has told me storys about His GTXdoing crazy speeds...lol

Old 07-12-2007, 07:05 AM
NYG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: estneon

i just heard that the brake caliperswern't strong enoughon the neons to go that fastmaby my friendwas wrong i might not fear going that fast anymore thanks guys...now all i have to fear is the tires poping at those speedsso i take back what i said.
I was not trying to single you out our anything

I have to admit - I was baffeled by your comment on the Neon and then the brakes.

I have not heard that the Brake Calipers weren't strong enough - Granted - They are not the best calipiers - but they do the job!
I have not changed my Calibers in about 2 years - which in regular car lift would be about 20+ years.

I do get out braked on some tracks my the Mazda3 in specific brake zones - so there are compact cars out there with better brakes!

I do agree with you - you will want good tires rated for high speed!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Slashwannabe

Even if I had a Lamborghini Diablo that could do 202mph all day long I'd still be scared going that fast and would still worry how the rubber is holding up.

On the highway going 110+ My Neon seems to be real stable and grip the road excellent with my Good Year Tires, I actually haven't noticed anyhuge bounce in the struts at that speed like alot of people have been complaining about, and the highway I speed on isn't the best grade in the world either in fact its being re done in a few weeks because of all the bumps. So far my struts absorb the bumps pretty good over 110+mph.

I actually don't brake too bad and my rear drum brakes are pretty much non existant and I will be changing them soon! my front brakes do a good job where I didnt even notice my rear brakes were gone until I tried the ebrake and not much happened.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Leonheart17240
Veteran

well when i get gov gone ill film the neon go over 120 then you can all rest...

Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: Leonheart17240

well when i get gov gone ill film the neon go over 120 then you can all rest...
take one for the team buddy! : )

Quick Reply: speed gov???