1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

"To Each His Own" Tired Of This BS

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Dr_KY
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "To Each His Own" Tired Of This BS

A wing will do nothing for your daily driver period... othr then serve as a place to eat lunch on a summers day.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Aerorat

[quoteWhen I stated this I said a good wing and traveling down an interstate at 118 mph no it don't do no good, But going a round a cruve that says to so down to 45 and you can go around it at 75 the wing is doing something.
I'd bet that a better suspension setup and -2° camber in the front wheels would do more than the "good" wing would.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Aerorat
All Star

ORIGINAL: Dr_KY

A wing will do nothing for your daily driver period... othr then serve as a place to eat lunch on a summers day.
I agree with that as far as daily (i'm going say cruzing). you are right just a place to eat lunch

Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I think we've hijacked this thread enough and beat the current topic to death.......so to put it eloquently and bluntly.....

Wings/Spoilers DO make a difference for high performance and racing vehicles. This truly depends on the application and style of vehicle, regardless of drivetrain style.

Your average daily driver that you pick up from Bob's Dodge in Newport has no real reason for a wing on the back other then for looks........REGARDLESS of whether they are FWD or RWD......

In a FWD vehicle, a wing is generally only needed for autocross and rally racing......

Old 07-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Aerorat
All Star

ORIGINAL: das2123

[quoteWhen I stated this I said a good wing and traveling down an interstate at 118 mph no it don't do no good, But going a round a cruve that says to so down to 45 and you can go around it at 75 the wing is doing something.
I'd bet that a better suspension setup and -2° camber in the front wheels would do more than the "good" wing would.
Well, lets see if the suspension is not going to keep the wheels planted to the road I don't think a great motor would doany good. And a -2° camber in the front wheels has what to do with the rear end. Yes it will help the FRONT wheels bite better to take a sharp turn, but the rear is going to try to come around on in a kind of fish tail manner or spin completely around. And i am in no way saying it will not do that with a wing, I am just saying the wing on the rear can and does help if it is not a poser wing

Old 07-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Dr_KY
Professional

I'm with DR.

A wing is great if you are in a sprint car but on the street you simply don't need it. If any of you are taking 'sharp turns' , rolling down the freeway at 118,turning corners at 75 mph then you had better be runing from a felony charge or on a closed race track otherwise you know what you are. lol

You do know that there are plenty of cars that take corners at those speeds on a closed track without a wing installed and do just fine without it right.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Aerorat
All Star

the question was not weather a wing did any good or not on the street vs the track it was does a wing do any good at all. And if not wht does the nascar cf wing create around 10lbs of down force at bistol a short track top speed in a race is 80 to 95.
But besides that so if I have a wing on car to help me on the track I need to take it off to drive on the street. I point I am tring to make here is this at the start of the debate was does a wing make a difference. I will be the first to no it does not at speeds of 10 -30 mph and after that you start getting some as you speed up. It also depends on the angel and cruve of the. When you are drive a long stick you hand out the window make you flat slowly twist your wrist. As you twist your wrist the down force on it will get greater. At 55 and beyond it gets greater. Now just thing a wing going across the rear of the car.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the question was not weather a wing did any good or not on the street vs the track it was does a wing do any good at all. And if not wht does the nascar cf wing create around 10lbs of down force at bistol a short track top speed in a race is 80 to 95.
Those wings also don't look like this...

Which is on 99.9% of cars that do have wings.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Aerorat
All Star

Well at the begining of all this didn't Isay a good wing? Oh yes yes I did. Quit leave out the facts I did in fact said a good wing not the flat piece of junk that came on the gen1 neon.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Aerorat
All Star

A good wing will create down force to help keep the rear end on the road. Some body kits forces air around the instead of letting go under the car and creating lift. Just look at nascar if air gets under the car it turns into a wingless plane and take flight. So body kits and wings are for safty more than anything.
I do agree on this bullcrap ricer junk. Because how can you call anyone in this forum a ricer when the motor is or was some how some way designed from the mitsubishi's (a ricer car) 2.0 & 3.0 motors. So that would make any and everyone that is driving a moper car with a 2.0,2.4,or the 3.0 in it a ricer then right.
Look look there it is in the first three words

Quick Reply: "To Each His Own" Tired Of This BS