1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

engine rebuilding questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 03:52 PM
pssssst
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine rebuilding questions

okay... i have a 96 sohc and decided im just gonna pull the motor and build it up over the next few months (as i get more money)... i am going to be building a turbo motor and just have a few questions about it. Okay, i have heard keeping the sohc pistons is better for a turbo applicationdue to lower compression allowing more psi, but I am going to use a dohc head. so here are the questions...

1.) will i need a new pcmby switching to thedohc head even if i keep the bottom end of the sohc?

2.) can i build the bottom end of the sohc block using performance pistons and rods for the sohc while using a stock dohc head???

3.) is it necessary to do a high end head rebuild to run a lower psi like 6-8???

thanks every1!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 PM
NYG
Veteran
Default RE: engine rebuilding questions

ORIGINAL: pssssst

okay... i have a 96 sohc and decided im just gonna pull the motor and build it up over the next few months (as i get more money)... i am going to be building a turbo motor and just have a few questions about it. Okay, i have heard keeping the sohc pistons is better for a turbo applicationdue to lower compression allowing more psi, but I am going to use a dohc head. so here are the questions...

1.) will i need a new pcmby switching to thedohc head even if i keep the bottom end of the sohc?

2.) can i build the bottom end of the sohc block using performance pistons and rods for the sohc while using a stock dohc head???

3.) is it necessary to do a high end head rebuild to run a lower psi like 6-8???

thanks every1!
You will find most of your answers in the FAQ section

If you use a DOHC Head - you should use the DOHC piston as there are notches in the piston for the valves

Never Turbo a Neon as I keep mine factory stock

Good Luck

Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your best bet would be to just use a whole dohc motor.....you would be able to use more boost with lower compression, but the stock rods cant take very much anyways.....
if your gonna build the bottom end, then it would be a good idea to build the top end as well

Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 AM
pssssst
Veteran

thanks spud... one more question now that i have decided to just do the full dohc swap... can i just gut my sohc and use the block and convert all the dohc internals to it???? thanks again!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:44 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pssssst

can i just gut my sohc and use the block and convert all the dohc internals to it????
yes

Quick Reply: engine rebuilding questions