1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

the almighty cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 03:45 PM
WhoaMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the almighty cooling problems

good afternoon,
I bought a 98 neon a little while ago, drove it home about 20 miles and spent the next day driving it around. the temp gauge would climb to around 1/4th of the way and stay steady around this point. now the other day, when my girlfriend hopped in and was driving it, the temp gauge started climbing and the neon started leaking fluid. it had a nice puddle under the car when she parked it. the next day, i filled the fluid and drove it home i had no problems. fast forward a few days, and once again, it started climbing when my girlfriend was driving it. i know both the fans are kicking on and running while the heat is climbing. it now sits with a puddle under it at her dads house. the coolent has been dripping off the A/C compressor and is running down from somewhere else. it is assumed this is the water pump causing the problems, though i have never had one work 90% of the time and then fail the other 10%. I have been reading around these forums and have seen instances of similar problems caused by fans not working, bad thermostats, and blockages in the radiator. today i am going to remove the thermostat and flush the system to see if the situation improoves at all. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things to try or suggestions on what to check.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:16 PM
jt46324
Default RE: the almighty cooling problems

if its on the compressor i would def. check the thermostat houseing, thermostat, and both hose for small cracks, get under the hood with a flashlight and see what u can see, also try sonme degresser if its too dirty, then maybe u can find the root source of this leak.next step would be to put a peice of cardboard under the car and let it run, see if u see any drips or puddles accumlating, then try to find out if tney are in the font, back, or side. at leasdt that will point u in the right direction.

Jay

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 PM
jdm0830
Rookie
Default RE: the almighty cooling problems

check ur rad. cause mine had a leak but i dt didnt show cause the previous owner blocked it off and it didnt show till i started to push it in the winter with the snow lol. but i kno what ur talking about. but take my advice as the last thing to consider, cause im not all too car savvy. just experiences
Juan

Quick Reply: the almighty cooling problems