1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

trunk leak!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:40 PM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trunk leak!!!!!!

its really startin to **** me off. i have over $600 worth of audio equipment in my trunk and i needa fix the leak. ne else have this problem so they can guide me in the right dirrection and tell me where to look. if your facing the rear of the car then its in the rear left corner right below the left tail light. and its a lot of water coming in. the spare tire is rusted cuz of water just sittin in the hole. and the rear floor mats have water damage on them. so its a bunch of water coming in there.please help!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trunk leak!!!!!!

go to autozone or someplace and get some RTV sealant. i used clear so well, it would be clear lol. and put it around where the tail lights meet with the body on both sides.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Just get some new taillight seals.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

^ its easier just doing the RTV. plus it lasts longer.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
justinsanders
Captain

yea i just searched the forums and found that some people fixed it by simply using silicone around the tail lights. but in my case i have gallons of water running through my trunk when it rains hardwhile the car is parked. so idk if that much water can run through the tail lights. wat do u think.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

my old car did....i've also heard of vent like things on the bottom of the car u might want to check out. i couldn't tell u where they are though cause i haven't seen them so yea lol

Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

its the tail lights for sure. get new seals. . . yeah you can proably get away with using the rtv silicone but what if you have to take them off again it would just be a pain in the ***

Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM
estneon
Record Breaker

two things to add if you buy cheap aftermarket tail lights(apc is always the worst) the seals are not all that great.

the vent's can be a water fall waiting to hapen i drive on a dirt drive all day and my trunk is full of dirt

Old 10-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Plug Ugly

I just fixed mine. Aside from drying out my trunk it took about 30 mins to fix. Hope this help other out there.

How I Fixed Mine. [/b]I am not saying that this will fix yours, but at least you will be able to tell where the leak is coming from. [/b]

Get a Pitcher of water. Open Trunk, with a flat head screwdriver remove the light assembly in the trunk. Remove the light bulb so battery does not wear down. Remove your spare tire.

Remove the plastic panel assembly that covers your trunk latch (easy to do, it is just held in place by metal snap brackets.

There are some plastic snap brackets that hold the carpet to the sheet metal of the trunk. Remove the one closest your driver side tail light. Remove just enough so you have access to the tail light assembly and so you can pull the carpet up around the spare tire wheel well. These can be removed with a pair of pliers, work the bracket back and forth gently (caution!!! These can break if you aren’t careful). Inspect for discoloration to the calk, foam sealer (whatever it is). This will give you some indication as to where your leak may be. That caulk seal may not be tight, just put a bead silicone over it, let it dry for 1 hour and then put another layer on. I did this, but my leak was actually coming from my driver side tail light assembly. Use a shop vac to clean up water in spare tire wheel well, carpet and anywhere else. Make sure trunk is dry.

Now, take your pitcher of water and pour some down your rear windshield close to the driver side watch for the water leak. (Most likely coming in from the tail light assembly).

Remove the three plastic 1.5 inch bolts on inside of assembly, loosen assembly, you should not have to remove any wiring. Look to see if there is a metal washer on the top bolt (There is your culprit. Weird how this top bolt is the only one with a washer, at least it was on my Neon. That washer is causing a gap between the foam seal and the sheet metal, water leaking right through.) Remove that washer, clean off any dirt/debris from tail light assembly and around the drain channel. Reassemble break light assembly.

Take pitcher of water and pour in same place as before, leak should be gone. Sit down have a beer; you may have saved yourself over $800. God Bless.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

?!?!?!?!?! wtf

Quick Reply: trunk leak!!!!!!