1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Charging System drain & difficult codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 PM
BrentKing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System drain & difficult codes

My car won't start if its been sitting for 2-3 days unless it gets a jump (this last time it wouldn't even start with that), and then it needs to charge up the battery for 30mins so its doesn't need a jump each time. This problem has existed for about 2 years and only poses a problem (except now with it not starting) when I don't start it for a few days. In the course of this past year I've put in a new starter, battery as well as since checked the battery & alternator (about 9 months ago) and they were fine.
I also have two codes that I'd like to know how to fix- P0441 and P1390.

Any ideas?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Default RE: Charging System drain & difficult codes

Something in you car is useing you power when you shut it off. When this was happening to me it was killing the battery in a day. There are two ways to find the power drain one is with a amp meter. You wire it in series with your ground cable (with the car off) and pull fuses and relays until you meter shows that the car is not drawing power. I did not have an amp meter but i had a volt meter, so withthe car shut off i attach the volt meter to the battey (parallel) and you sould see the voltage slowly droping when you pull the right fuse or relay the voltage should go back up. For me it was a relay in the fuse box next to the drivers seat.I have looked in the hayes manul andI couldnt find what this mystery relay did.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:25 AM
BrentKing

Thanks man, for the idea- I'll check it out with my volt meter.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

you sould do a search online for the neon fault codes. maybe they could be part of the problem.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:01 AM
BrentKing

I looked online at the codes and it didn't tell me anything beyond the description of the code.
It just said P0441 is the Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow Fault.
The P1390 is apparently the Octane Adjust Pin out of self test range (that is weird because previous times I've looked up the code it read the defition differently).

Quick Reply: Charging System drain & difficult codes