1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

2.0L SOHC overheating diagnosis help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:32 PM
wallacereid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0L SOHC overheating diagnosis help please

Just bought a 1999 automatic, 2.0 SOHC with 145K miles at police impound auction for $450.00. Starts and runs good, until I started driving it home. I was paying close attention to the temp guage, which wasnormal for about 10 miles....but, as fate would have it, next time I looked down, it was pegged and a friendly chime was going off.

Today, instead of diagnosing the problem, I look out the window at theneon under a foot of snow during the first big storm of the season. Which is why I'm posting, instaed of working on it.

Anyway, there was no water in the engine, and the water in the overflow tank was bubbling. I pulled the pressure relief valve on the water cap, waited about 30 minutes, filled it with water and headed home. I made it about 10 more miles, and had to repeat. The next two legs were only about 5 miles each, as I was headed up the mountain, but I made it home. I have to add water directly to the pressure cap line, when pouring water in the overflow tank, itjust goes strait to the ground. (is this normal? maybe a line is missing?)

I like the way the car drives, and think I'll spend a little time on it, unless it's a head gasket, or other major issue.

The check engine light is ON, the oil light is ON (even though there is oil in it), the airbag light is ON (even though they have not been deployed). It's kinda like Christmas with all the lights.

No smoke of any kind out the tailpipe, engine starts, idles, and runs fine.

Any ideas as to basic diagnosis procedure?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:50 PM
tattoojack
Veteran
Default RE: 2.0L SOHC overheating diagnosis help please

ok, first of all,
if its snowin stop using water. get some actual rad fluid, maybe 50/50 premix.
second,
if your overflow is leakin its probly a hole somewhere in the bottom. and that wont allow the system to properly pressurize. forcin the water out the hole.
C.
if your airbag light is on, its probly just a missin/bad fuse. the oil light could be a bad sensor. and the check engine light is easy.
turn the key to "run", last spot before the car starts, and then off 3 times one after the other and watch your CEL. it will blink numbered amount of flashes.
for instance,
1 blink, short pause, 2 blinks, long pause, 5 blinks, short pause, 5 blinks, no more flashes=
code 12 and code 55
12 being "battery disconnected within last 50 engine starts"
and 55 being "end of codes"
this will tell you anything wrong with the car, sensors, what have you.
also make sure that when the car reaches about half way up the temp guage that your fan turns on. if not there is a relay under the hood behind the battery that goes out and is only 7 bucks at autozone, etc.

if all else fails, you may have a blown headgasket.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:43 PM
wallacereid

Thanks tatoojack. Here are the codes...12, 37, 55. What is 37?

Additional clues.

I started it before it froze to add coolant, and no initial leaking. Maybe after it warms up...I'll post again in a minute.

What about water pump, thermostat...how can I test?

Old 10-21-2007, 05:09 PM
wallacereid
Default 2nd Post...2.0L SOHC overheating diagnosis help please

After idling 20 minutes, car is at normal temperature, with no apparent leaking, but coolant was low again. Could it be a steam loss that I cannot see, or is this confirmation that it's getting into the cyllinders. No oil in coolant, that I can see, oil looks OK, but did notice some bubbles on the dipstick.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 PM
tattoojack
Veteran
Default RE: 2nd Post...2.0L SOHC overheating diagnosis help please

if its oil bubbles you are fine.
if you are smokin bad than its goin into the cylinders.
do a search for the codes or just get a haynes manual. mine is in the car with my girl, so......
also, did your fan ever come on or not?

Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 PM
wallacereid

No tail pipe smoking, fans do not operate, but that should not matter at speed, or account for the coolant loss. I just let it idle for an hour, and it ran fine, at normal temperature, but coolant was down. Where could it go? If it's a head gasket, would'nt there be smoke from the tailpipe?

Old 10-21-2007, 05:40 PM
wallacereid

I lied....The coolant was not down. So it idles fine.......Then why would overheat and lose coolant so quickly at speed?

Old 10-24-2007, 06:44 AM
tattoojack
Veteran

because sometimes, YOU HAVE TO HAVE FANS. BUY THE RELAYS AND QUIT ASKIN THE SAME QUESTION. geez!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Code 37 is Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:30 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: wallacereid

No tail pipe smoking, fans do not operate, but that should not matter at speed, or account for the coolant loss. I just let it idle for an hour, and it ran fine, at normal temperature, but coolant was down. Where could it go? If it's a head gasket, would'nt there be smoke from the tailpipe?
I'm thinking its your head gaskit, these cars seem to be notorius for head gaskit fialure. If the leak is small enough you may not get alot of smoke out the tail pipe.

Quick Reply: 2.0L SOHC overheating diagnosis help please