1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Engine Sputters and Dies, no clue. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM
jimustanguitar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Sputters and Dies, no clue. Help!

Hi everybody. I've got a 96 neon with the SOHC 2.0 engine. About two months ago my car started havin a little harder time pulling outta the driveway in the morning, it would sputter if you hit the gas, exactly like how a clogged fuel filter acts. It would also have this rumble at stoplights, and did die a few times. So I decided to do a full tune-up. I replaced the plugs and wires, pcv valve, air oil and yes the fuel filter. The car ran better, and I was happy. About two weeks after the tune up, the car started acting up again at idle. The problem is still very intermittant, maybe only occuring once or twice every week or so. I have a friend with a car with this same engine, that he has owned and worked on for ten years (two headgaskets, legend has it) and anyway, he told me that these cars are notorious for having the egr valves go bad and making an engine act like that. So I replaced the egr valve, both the vacuum solenoid and the exhaust valve itself. Again the engine seemed fine for about two weeks. Now the car is doing it again, and my wife just told me it died on her earlier today on her way to work. What do you think could be the culprit, unless it is fuel pump time, i'm out of ideas. If I put a guage on there, what fuel pressure should I read at the rail? Thanks for the help, cuz I need it.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:19 PM
jimustanguitar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Sputters and Dies, no clue. Help!

i just checked with a fuel pressure guage, and i'm supposed to be looking for 48psi +-2, and I have around 52. Could a problem exist from having too high of a pressure from the pump?

Quick Reply: Engine Sputters and Dies, no clue. Help!