1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

failed inspection, need to fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:39 PM
syrinx3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed inspection, need to fix

hi, new to the board. i have a 98 neon, automatic, got it 3 years ago. it never gave me any problems until this summer. it made a squeaky sound that came from the right side; a mechanic came and fixed it (replaced the brake pads and tire rods). it still squeaks now but very rarely. anyways the real problem now: my car's inspection was long overdue and i hadn't takenit cuz it had so many problems (won't accelerate at times, service engine soon light is on, speedometer only works occasionally). after replacing the brake pads and tire rods, i thought i was in the clear (when i took the car for a drive with my mechanic, it accelerated just fine so he didn't do anything about that part) so i took it to my local inspection center. surprise surprise, it got the red sticker [&o]. according to the paper i got, the car has broken/loose motor mounts, an exhaust leak, a loud exhaust system, and it failed the fuel emission test.
i want to deal with the motor mounts first but i have no idea how much it would cost (my father said he can get the parts, we just need someone to do the actual work). since my father doesn't speak english fluently, it's up to me to investigate prices. however, he warned me that since i'm female and i'm young, i'm more likely to get ripped off and unfortunately i know next to nothing about cars. has anyone had their motor mounts replaced and can tell me how much labor costs? and how about the other things i need to fix, are they pricey? thank you for your help, i appreciate it!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:21 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: failed inspection, need to fix

They run about 25 bucks each at your local parts store and there is a total of 3 of them one on your passenger top one on the front of the motor and then a transmission motor mount. more then likly its your passenger side or your front. normally just one goes out at a time but driving to long with one out will cause the other problems and other motor mounts to brake.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:54 PM
mulletman11
All Star

wats the advantage of getting stiffer ones?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:35 AM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: mulletman11

wats the advantage of getting stiffer ones?
You keep your Girl Friend Happy.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the motor mounts and then some good inserts OR fill them with Windshield urathane. and let them harden. the Neons are great cars for killing the motor mounts. most only last like 60k or so. oh and depending on where you go to take the car you might have to use that companies motor mounts. so like if you buy them from the auto parts store some places might not install them cause they are stupid lol.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

where do you Live I know spud is is a good guy and can lend a helping hand i would too but im in iraq and considering your in a state with emisions testing and no offence but your dad dont speak good english but i would say texas or Cali

Quick Reply: failed inspection, need to fix