SOHC head on DOHC block???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC head on DOHC block???

Ok here we go...
The previous owner of my car had overtightened one of his spark plugs and shot the sparkplug and all the threads straight out of the head. So instead of getting in heli coiled he did a full SOHC swap from a 96, the car is a 95. And by full swap i mean he switched the whole wiring harness. So the car is now a 95 with obd2. Heres the question. I know if you put a SOHC head on a DOHC block you get higher compression and more power but seeing that there are other small differences in the block that i've heard of like the rod bearings being a different size and the map sensor being seperate from the iat sensor. Is this swap a difficult one as long as i switch all the 96 sensors over to the 95 block and just reuse the same manifolds that are on my car now??? Just basicly pull the crank sensor off the 96 and throw it on the 95 and so on??? Or is there something else that is different that will prevent me to do the swap??? Should i just use the sensors that are on the dohc and solder in the sohc lines if the plugs dont match up???
Just wondering
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SOHC head on DOHC block???

this has got me kinda confused.....
what year would the dohc head be comming out of???
the intake and exhaust manifolds are different between the sohc and dohc's.....
thermostat housings are different.....
egr tube between the head and intake are different...
there are plenty of other things too, but the wire harness will be your biggest problems

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SOHC head on DOHC block???

ok spud the motor that is in my car now is a SOHC from a 96 along with the whole wiring harness and pcm. I bought the old 95 DOHC motor that originally came in my car from the kid that I got the car from. I want to just simply put the 96 SOHC head that is in my car now and put it on the 95 DOHC block that I bought from him. So I will have the higher compresstion and a little more power. So what I'm basicly asking is what will i have to do with all the sensors???

Quick Reply: SOHC head on DOHC block???