1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

my 2nd neon

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 PM
hatchetman2590
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2nd neon

i am about to buy a 1996 (same as the first) for $500 the only problem is the back brake line broke how do i fix thatmy

Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker
Default RE: my 2nd neon

ORIGINAL: hatchetman2590

i am about to buy a 1996 (same as the first) for $500 the only problem is the back brake line broke how do i fix thatmy
install a new brake line, bleed the system and you should be good

Old 11-25-2007, 02:39 PM
hatchetman2590
Professional

does it just screw in to the cylinders?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM
unclemike
Veteran

First buy a factory or a Haynes manual, read the section on service brakes and the precautions needed when working on them. They have a section on repairing brake lines.

It goes with out saying that you will be working under your car so jack stands and safety goggles are a must. When ever I am under any of mine I leave both hydraulic jacks in place plus use four welded and cast jack stands. Read all and understand all of the safety precautions that came with the jack and jack stands. If you have any doubts or have never worked on brakes before consider going to a brake shop to have the work done.

Now, on to the details. You will need a quality double flaring tool, a tube cutter, line wrenches and a bending tool. Parts need will be a lenght of brake line with flare nuts on both ends as long as or slightly longer than the rusty line you plan to replace a flare nut and a joiner fitting. Typicaly the line goes bad where it dips under the frame and comes back up to the brake hose bracket. Get the right parts the first time, take the section of line, including the flare and flare nut, that broke off with you to the parts store. Saves a lot of grief. Follow the instructions on cutting a flaring the origional steel brake line, dont forget to slide the flare nut on before you flare the end of the tube.

Again, if you have any doubts or have never worked on brakes before consider going to a brake shop to have the work done. Compare their price to the price of having to buy any or all of the needed tools and safety equiment.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:45 PM
hatchetman2590
Professional

alright thanks mike i just bought a manual on ebay like yesturday so it should be in soon and it is like 40 degees out side so screw that i aint working when its frozen lol

Quick Reply: my 2nd neon