1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Differential Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential Mod

I posted this on org and got shafted. Wanted to get some opinions over here.

it is a neon differential, with mopar diff tabs, and a Ford diff spring between the spider gears. Limits the free ply the spider gears have, acting like part of a true LSD. Got the idea from some members on TD.com that did this years ago using the 7.5" diff spring from a ranger, and the 8.8" diff spring from a 95 gt mustang. I managed to use the larger diff spring from a 2002 F-150/Explorer. Just some trying some old ideas on newer cars.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:20 PM
dcmcguy
Veteran
Default RE: Differential Mod

that looks like it could get all caught up and lock...i dont like it....

Old 12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be a bit nervous to drive it, but hey it's your car.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Aerorat
All Star

It looks to me that the springs could just fall out and that wouldn't be too good bouncing around inside of the tranny

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

maybee you need to tack weld the spring to the pin in one place, so that it will still create tension.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Thanks for the input. I have been driving my neon for about 3 months with this done. The idea came from a post on TD.com, and some members there confused to installing them 4yrs ago on their turbo dodge cars. The pics really does not give the impression of just hot much tension the spring puts on the gears. For those that have seen the movie "300," see if this makes sense. Let's say the spider gears in the diff are the Hot Gates, and the spring is the Pursian army. Because the spring F-150 is almost wider than the diff gears, the teeth are shaved down. The gears are smooth enough to then force the spring in. That spring is not going anywhere once it is installed. i made 5 of these a few months back for interested neon owners with no failures. Now i need stress testing, so I made a deal with Chipdogg ( the MTX Destroyer) to see if he can break one. Just wanted some feedback. I'll update once CD does his worst for those interested.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Oh, and the tension on the spider gears is far more than what the Phontom Grip puts out. The spring is hammered into place with a rubber mallet. It is not going anywhere Again, I have sold five transmission with this work over the summer with a 100% success rate.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:00 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

So in otherwords you have figured out a way to make a LSD out of a ford spring. Interesting. I would think that with that in there like that both tires would be fully locked up all the time, but I really dont know that much about the diff other then the pin loves to fly out...

Old 12-23-2007, 02:59 AM
neonracer1010
All Star

thats why you tack the dif pin in place, htey use that same spring on rear ends, i wouldnt worry about it falling out, its under so much tension. and as rpms increase its gonna gain more tension and put pressre on the little spider gears and cause both wheels to get traction

Old 12-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Again, this was someone else's idea. The spring works much like the Phantom grip, only stronger (depending on the ford spring used). I have been doing more research into this, since the diff pin is secured only by the diff tabs on each end. The spring puts pressure on the spider gears, reducing drive train shock. Similar to preloading the drivetrain prior to launching off the line. With the tension on the spider gears, the diff pin should not be pressured as much. Remove the retaining dowel pin so the diff pin has some play, preventing the axles from coming in contact with the same point on the diff pin. This is what I put in my other trans yesterday.

This diff was a serious pain to deal with. The idea was to do less shaving to increase the tension on the spider gears. You have see the close shot of the installed spring is greatly compressed in the diff. For added protection, two diff tabs are installed on each side of the diff pin. One has failed for those burnout junkies; though I am not, it is piece of mind. Tac weld have also failed in holding the diff pin. That is the same as leaving that dowel pin in the diff. The pin needs to move , to avoid the axles wearing on the same spot. Have been informed many 2004+ diff pins have no holes for the retaining pin, and MUST use the saver tabs.

Quick Reply: Differential Mod