1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

need help tranny shifting funny!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008 | 11:48 PM
neon0
Default need help tranny shifting funny!!

hello, my 95 dodge neon is shifting funny.2nd gear kicks in at 22mph.all other gears seem to shift ok,except for 4th down to third shift down to early.it seems the shift points are of somewhat.this all started when a seal and oil pan had to be changeg and the tranny had to come out for parts to be changed.when car was returned 1st to2nd gearwas off.only thing i know is the tranny mount is bad.the speed sensor is new.does anyone one have any clues to what is going on.

Old 01-31-2008 | 12:10 AM
Slashwannabe
Default RE: need help tranny shifting funny!!

First Off Your Neon does not have a 4 speed automatic, Its a 3 speed Automatic.

Your problem is most likely that the idiots who did the transmission didn't set the bands correctly which is easy to do while, all you need to do is take your battery and battery trayout then look near wherethe transmission dipstick enters there is a lock nut that you loosen and thentighten the middle "bolt" down then back it out 3 turns and put the lock nut on and tighten it. This should align your gear shifts perfectly.

Many people recomend 2 1/2 turns out but 3 turnstakes advantage of your engines powerband for perfect shifts. With the 2 1/4- 2 1/2 settings its no wonder peeps think the autosare slow.

Dont worry about torque specs when you tighten it the adjusting band down, just do a good snug and back it off 3 turns.

Old 01-31-2008 | 07:56 AM
lateralus823
Veteran

Should shift from 1st at around 55 at WOT and 2nd to third at 80ish.

Old 01-31-2008 | 03:09 PM
tranyinstaller
Professional

yah but his problem isnt at wot, it for typical daily driving. how the hand lateralus?

Old 01-31-2008 | 05:59 PM
lateralus823
Veteran

good dude thanks , had surgery to get a plate got my final cast on today, should be off in 4 weeks

Old 01-31-2008 | 07:51 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

i took my kickdown cable off and i just shift it myself.

Old 01-31-2008 | 08:51 PM
lateralus823
Veteran

^ let us know when u get a new tranny! do not shift it yourself it wasnt meant for that purpose, thatS why they make MTX!

Old 01-31-2008 | 09:45 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: lateralus823

^ let us know when u get a new tranny! do not shift it yourself it wasnt meant for that purpose, thatS why they make MTX!
Shut Up Right Now!!!

Its easier on the tranny cuz it doesnt have to shift itself!.

Adjusting the band adjuster will dictate when you shift weather your under kick down (wot) or not. I had absolutly no 2nd gear prior to adjusting mine and after I adjustedthe kick down it engaged beautifully!. Its actually notstrictly a kick down band cuz it adjusts all forward gears and when they engage. What you should doif you still have problemsis take the adjusting bolt out and poke in there with a straight edge screw driver and see if the band is stuck and if you can unstick it then tighten it down and back off 3 turns and put the lock nut on.

The Next person who mentions MTX can kick my fkn *****, We're trying to solve a ATX problem not a MTX. The NeonMTX are weak trannys, every other week somebody is posting a picture of abroken 1st gear or fkd up syncros, weather the person doesn't know how to shiftor its tranny quality isanother story. I just hate when people gotta mention MTX when we're dealing with a ATX problem.

Also You shouldnt need to manually shift the ATX unless your past 75mph, thats what a properly adjusted kick down is for, If You shift into 2nd gear manually at 58 or 60mph then you have lag, if you let the tranny do it then it doesnt lag, only time you need to shift manually is at 75mph and thats only to keep it into 2nd gear till 100mph which is why most people get owned on the high end by a DOHC cuz they let the SOHC shiftat 80mph into 3rd gear and there you sit waiting to get to 100mph. Keep it engaged till 95 when the engine is at 5500 Rpm and you'll blink and you'll be at 100mph, infact its so fast I almost forgot to shift into drive at 105mph one time racing a Monte Carlo it got up to 105mph so fast. It makes sense cuz look at a graph to see where the SOHC makes its max HP around 5800-6000 Rpm so keep it engaged and running in these RPM ranges for as long as possible. I got the turbo on now for about 3 months andso very rarely do I need to bother going to speeds that high to prove a point.

People always think I'm on crack when I say I can beat a stockDOHC car on the high end with my stock SOHC. Thats because they don't know when to shift, I'll beat your average DOHC driver with a stock SOHCATX any day, and even if you don't win you'll at least make them work for it using my methods. I watch those Youtube Videos of people racing SOHC ATX's on the highway and they let it shift into 3rd at 79mph and get owned cuz they let it shift too soon. Before my Turbo was on I raced a DOHC 2.0Avenger and spanked him so bad that he had to make an excuse about his speaker box being heavy, he used that excuse till I popped my trunk and showed him my tool box, my 2 turbos and2 exhaustmanifolds I had laying in the trunk, not to mention the extra fluids I have for my car such as oil,anti freeze,brake fluid and power streering fluid, he shut up and said ok I guess race was fair...lol

Anybody who disputes this I welcome the challenge I'll pull my turbo inlet tube off and we'll go race.

Old 01-31-2008 | 10:21 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

yeah sounds like the bands...but ah hem. lets just settle that both the ATX and the MTX's are solid transmissions. i have a ATX with 215,xxx miles on it, still running but beginning to slip. i also have MTX's, one has over 247,000 miles on it. and it was only up till 240,xxx miles that the syncro's started to go bad on it in 1st. most of the problems with the MTX's are that people dont know how to shift or they abuse the crap out of it. Most of the problems with the ATX's is that people put the gosh dang wrong transmission fluid in it lol.

Old 01-31-2008 | 11:10 PM
Slashwannabe

ORIGINAL: neoncrazy101

yeah sounds like the bands...but ah hem. lets just settle that both the ATX and the MTX's are solid transmissions. i have a ATX with 215,xxx miles on it, still running but beginning to slip. i also have MTX's, one has over 247,000 miles on it. and it was only up till 240,xxx miles that the syncro's started to go bad on it in 1st. most of the problems with the MTX's are that people dont know how to shift or they abuse the crap out of it. Most of the problems with the ATX's is that people put the gosh dang wrong transmission fluid in it lol.
I kind of figured Driver Error, but I do see alot of pics on here every once in a while about somebody trashing their mtx. The old 2.2 Turbo mtx trannys were actually quite tough. But the reason i brought up the reliability issue is because not everyone is good enough to drive them without breaking something. There not idiot proof.

Quick Reply: need help tranny shifting funny!!