1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Car Died Again! Maybe fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:03 PM
djseth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Died Again! Maybe fuel pump

I was driving at 60mph the other day, and the car just died. There was absolutly no stutter of the engine or indication that it was having a problem. It just stopped driving. I have full electrical operation of all componets (i.e. lights, stereo, gages). The engine turns over fine, and it just won't start. Tomorrow, I will check that there is spark, and that I am getting fuel to the injectors. Is there anything else that I might be on the obvious look out for? I think it might be the fuel pump or the ignition module. I visually inspected the fuel pump fuse (it looked ok), but I will test the connection with an ohm meter. Could the relay be bad? Any input helps.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2008, 09:10 PM
djseth
Default RE: Car Died Again! Maybe fuel pump

I forgot to ask. Even though the dash didn't display an error message, is it possible that the car still threw a code that I can read with an OBD reader?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

my 99 buick lesabre did the same thing... it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It didnt ever throw a code either, maybe the neon acts the same way...

Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, crank sensor. Could possibly be the cam sensor, but I think te CEL would come on. Check the fuel pressure at therail.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
djseth

Ok, my fuel pump is working and I am getting fuel to the rail. I'm not getting spark. I can check the signal to the crankshaft pos. sensor buy I can't get my probes into the sensor to test the return signal to see if it is not sending one (it is poorly placed). Does anyone know a good way to back track the wires to read the signal out? Also, shouldn't the cam shaft pos sensor compensate for the crank if it fails? I will try testing the ignition module soon too to eliminate that. Any other sensors that I should check?

Quick Reply: Car Died Again! Maybe fuel pump