1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Died in the middle of the street...need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:59 AM
ruszkol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Died in the middle of the street...need help

Greeting from Europe!

As this is my first post, pls let me be excused for all the newbie mistakes :-)

My 99 SOHC Auto Neon started off with a weird behaviour yesterday. During the drive the engine just died out - coasted to the parking, check the sparks and plugs all ok, checked the fuses - No10 was out (ignition), replaced it and tried to start, it started without any problem so i went on to work. Coming back (after couple of miles) same thing happened agin - died in the middle of the road..., checked the fuses again, same story (10 was blasted) replaced and.... nothing...
The starter goes on normally, the engine starts (in both P & N settings) then when i put it either in D or R without any noise whatsoever fuse is blasted and engine dies...
i tried the OBD - nothing, no visible "rogue" spark under the hood, tried higher fuses (20 & 25A) - nothing

Have you ever encountered anything similar?
I'm pretty much stuck in EU right now cause it's hard to find a good mechanic with knowledge about Neons here...

Thanks-in-adv :-)
Jake

UPDATE - when the engine cools down, on 25A fuse it drives for a mile and stalls again... have no idea what may cause that - checked the fuel pump wiring but seems ok... HELP!!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 PM
HarleyRider68
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Died in the middle of the street...need help

On that circuit, you have the ignition coil, the O2 sensors, and the fuel injectors. Check the wiring to all these components. I had an O2 sensor go bad and it kept blowing the same fuse, so if the wiring checks out, start unplugging components to try to isolate it.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

just please stop putting bigger fues's in the car you can start a fire that way... harley rider is right your going to have to trace all those wires before you find the short...

Old 03-09-2008, 01:22 AM
ruszkol

Thank for the tip - tomorrow i'll get the wiring diagrams and will chase each cable separately

Old 03-09-2008, 03:08 AM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

willing to bet the lower o2 wires are grounding out on the exhaust and causing the fuse to blow.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 AM
ruszkol

Dazzeller - I owe you one - the reason was the wires grounding out cause my front engine airbag was broken - engine fixed until i get a new one and the wire harnesses replaced

Thanks a lot everyone!

Quick Reply: Died in the middle of the street...need help