1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

......still code 43, need advice......

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:52 AM
BD_KRS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ......still code 43, need advice......

Does anyone have any idea why I would be getting a code 43 after installing new plugs, wires, coil pack. Also new crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor. Timing is right on and fuel pressure is at 55 p.s.i. at an idle. Engine is a SOHC, mild build with a crane #12 cam. Stock intake and exhaust, stock throtle body. This all started about a week ago after I went through a car wash. Car died about2 miles after going through. Found thatthe crankshaft sensor plug had no rubber grommet in it.It was going bad for sometime. Pulled it apart and it was filled with water and all three terminals were green and corroded. I replaced the plug and the sensor. I also replaced the camshaft sensorand plug too. It wascracked and leaking oil. The code 43 started about 8 to 10 miles after installing both sensors.The next day I di the wires, plugs, -(champions)- and a coil pack. Reset the ECU and still a code 43. After inspecting the plugs it also looks like it may be running a bit lean. So what I'm asking is what's my next step? Upstream O2 sensor? Maybe the newcrankshaft/camshaft sensor is bad? I really don't know what to do next. I even check for a vacuum leak at an idle, found nothing........this is getting real frustrating.........please advise.........Thanks

Old 03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
jdl
Default RE: ......still code 43, need advice......

If this is an obd11 vehicle, I'd check for obd11 codes. It might narrow the problem down a little. If you have a misfire on one cylinder, the obd1 code won't tell you which one, the obd11 code will. Some of the national brand autostores will check codes for free. It may not help much, but, that's what I would do next. I don't know if replacing the cam may have caused a problem, you might talk to Crane.

Can you put a scanner on it?

Will the vehicle start and run?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:32 PM
BD_KRS

The car does run, I do notice a miss. I drive it everyday. I do have access to a OBDII scanner and thats what my friend has been using on it at his shop. I will get the definite code on monday, but I do believe that it was P0301 Cylinder Num. 1 Misfire, but I will recheck on monday. I am going to the auto parts store here in a few. Going to replace the wires and plugs once more. Maybe I got a bad set of wires.....you never know......any other suggestions anyone?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:52 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

all neon's are obd2...

I was thinking after we talked last night that it may be a short in one of the wires like it was cracked then when the water got in the crack it grounded it out causing the wire to fray a bit.. may want to trace the wire back...

Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 PM
jdl

ORIGINAL: BD_KRS

The car does run, I do notice a miss. I drive it everyday. I do have access to a OBDII scanner and thats what my friend has been using on it at his shop. I will get the definite code on monday, but I do believe that it was P0301 Cylinder Num. 1 Misfire, but I will recheck on monday. I am going to the auto parts store here in a few. Going to replace the wires and plugs once more. Maybe I got a bad set of wires.....you never know......any other suggestions anyone?
The code 43 is an obd1 code, the obd11 codes are always more specific. If you haven't tried a cylinder balance test, you might try it. If that points to the number 1 cylinder as being the weakest. It gives you a starting point.

Quick Reply: ......still code 43, need advice......