1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon not getting spark

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 AM
dirtracer24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 98 neon not getting spark

Good luck and please let us know what you find. We are chaseing this down with one of our race cars.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 AM
unclebuck13

From what a lot of posts on this forum and many others this is not that uncommon of a problem. However most people do not post what it is or what they found it to be on their vehicle. I have read posts where it is the fuel pump the o2 sensors broken wire somewhere whatever but not really much in the way other than that. Many people have changed the complete wiring harness and still have had the problem.

Many people that have had this problem or still do have had it for months and some have had it for years. I dont have that kind of time. I cant afford to buy another car and this one isnt really worth putting a whole ton of money into. Not all at one time at least. It has been very reliable and a awesome car but im not dumping 1500 into a car thats 11 years old and worth what running. Maybe 1500 at best.

So far the only thing i have found is 3 wires that come off the cam sensor that wrap around what appears to be a air line or something they are a little flattened and seem to be stuck together. Thats the only odd wirirng I have found.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM
unclebuck13

The Tow truck will be here in the morning to pick this car up. I hope its something simple. I am in no way a mechanic. I have never sent any of my vehicles to a garage. I have always done all of my own work. I learned how working with my father who is a mechanic. But there comes a time when its over your head where it is better to call someone that might be more knowledgable than you. That point has come. I did my best to figure it out but came to a brick wall.

A friend of mine called tonight to see how it was going. His son is a mechanic at the local dodge dealer. He said that sometimes when you put your key into the door lock wrong it will short this circuit out. Bring it in and i will get you a deal.

Uhm yeah sure. I will get right on that moron! Thank god i didnt call the dealer to come get it

Old 03-13-2008, 06:43 PM
unclebuck13

No word yet as to whats wrong.

I just noticed when the jg wentworth banner is at the top of the page there is a guy holding his head like hes disgusted. Underneath that it says 1st Gen neon. Some truth to that guys!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Did you ever try what I told you about jumping a hot wire to the coil?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
unclebuck13

Jr. When it comes to electrical systems that is my biggest weak point. I did try some things but since i am not really good at this was very leary when it comes to jumping computerized components. I chickened out. I didnt want to screw something up and since I didnt have anyone around to help me I decided to bypass this. And if I messed something up with my inabilities I didnt want to spend more money on this little problem.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
unclebuck13

Got the car back today. It was the dk gn wire from the power distribution to the coil, injectors so on. Broken right below the pdc. Cost $217 including tow, battery, oil change and wire diagnostic and repair, and new battery terminals. I also had them change the fuel pump since it has been low pressure for 2 years. He charged me $300 for the job. The parts alone would have cost me 240 from autozone so for what its worth I didnt have to mess with it. Total bill was 556 for everything and the turd is on the road again. I love my turd though.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:33 PM
unclebuck13

For what its worth I have a junk yard used PCM if anyone needs it. I payed $75 for it a week ago will let it go for $50 shipping included. Message me. Comes with a 90 day warranty from the bone yard.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

I'm glad you got your neon "turd" back on the road... its nice to see people that love the car so much that you shell out over half of what its worth just to fix it... but that aint bad for what they did...

anyways you may want to let people know what year the pcm is and if its for DOHC OR SOHC, and mtx or atx... im sure its in the post somewhere but people are not going to read the whole thing...

Quick Reply: 98 neon not getting spark