1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help!!! Gas Tank Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Kellyshadow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Gas Tank Problem!

Hi this is going to sound horrible but here it goes. We have a 1998 plymouth Neon!

You may need to sit for this!!

Are you sitting??????

Well................. Megan our youngest with Autism has been filling our little Jerry can with WATER and putting it in our GAS TANK!!! Can we spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E!!!!!!

That little STINKER!!! OH man was I irritated when I discovered this!!

Now we don't just leave the gas can laying around she had to do some scaling in our basement to get it!!

So last night I'm thinking........uuummmmm....... ADOPTION!!!!! ..........No just kidding, I love her to pieces BUT she can be a real STINKER sometimes!!!

After searching the internet it seems like the problem is somewhat easy to fix, we have to empty our tank into Jerry cans, then we will be able to see how much water is in the gas. Gas and water don't mix and water is heavier so the water will be at the bottom of the can. Then we have to add back like 3 quarters of the gas back as to not add the water back, then top off the tank with some premium gas and it should be good. UNLESS she wrecked our fuel filter that would require a mechanic.

So here is our problem we are having a problem siphoning the gas out! We put the hose in it goes pretty far down but then it seems to hit a wall or corner and nothing. Please help does anyone have info on how to get the gas out!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Spawne32
Professional
Default RE: Help!!! Gas Tank Problem!

yeh your not gona be able to siphon the tank completely, its baffled for a reason. Your gona have to drop that tank completely and drain it, whether or not your fuel filter needs to be replaced, i dont know, i would replace it but depending on the year it could be directly in the fuel pump itself. As far as treating it afterwards, drain it, refill it with gas, and then run some of this through a few times once everytime you fill up.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...sp?product=135

Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

fuel stariner and filter should be fine.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:31 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

on my 96 neon there is a spare outlet on the tank(next to the fuel in/out lines)that has a rubber cover on it... I suppose its used to drain the tank. Look on yours and see if it would be easier to remove a fuel line or fitting from the part of the tank where the filter/pump/fuel sending unit is on yours... its easier than dropping the entire tank.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Gas Tank Problem!