1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Colder Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:17 AM
chenzo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colder Plug

Ok. so ive been looking around, and i havent really found anything, so i thought i would ask.

At the moment i have no turbo, but i plan to get one in the future. would i gain anything RIGHT NOW, turboless, with using a colder plug?

i guess. to simplify it, would i gain anything by running a colder plug with no turbo?

Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Colder Plug

no not really... you would acually lose some power not much but small amount... the colder plug is to help the spark in a boosted car... and you really dont have to run them untill you get to around 15 psi if you reall dont want to any thing less just go with one step colder...

Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

if your going to run cooler plugs withoutneeding them they will foul pretty quick and offers no advantages. Use the plug that the maufacture recomendes they will last longer and perform better.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Slashwannabe

With plugs this is how it works,

With every 80-100 HorsePower your motor puts out over the previous Plug style you need to go one step cooler which on a neon would be in NGK terms BKR7E over the stock BKR6E, so if your putting a 100hp over stock the BKR7E's are what you need, No more than 1 or 2 cold depths above every100hp. Anymore than 2 ranges difference and you run the risk of fouling, but I'd rather foul than ping so you be the judge if you think your running enough power to warrent a plug change and if you foul stick with the plugs just under that range where you foul.

The number in the plug name is the cold range, higher numbers are cooler plugs, such as stock are 6 80hp more are 7s and 80 more after that are 8s and so on. For every Cold range the Combustion temp drops 80-100 degrees Celsius. So as you can see that can be enough to be the differenceof your pistons melting or not. Also not all Plug Manufacturers use the same terminology in computing plug coldness but 99% of the time the higher the number the cooler the plug, just cross refference the plugs to NGK's and go a number above or whatever that manufacturer recomends for stock.

Interesting fact:Gasoline Ignites at around518 degrees Farenheight.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:07 PM
chenzo
Veteran

ok, since the upgrades i have dont total up to probably more than 50 extra hp, i would not benefeit from a colder plug.

Quick Reply: Colder Plug