1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Someone help shift linkage

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone help shift linkage

Well I was coming back from working on the neon. Found out that dohc head I picked up hit 2 valves off a piston. Great. Newer head and parts on it so that made me kinda happy. So the guy I was with says to me on the way back "dont you ever feel the erge to just get up on your car. I said yea. Ripped it through first and hit second. Or did I. It was in second but the tranny wasnt. It went into third. I pulled over and put it into 5th on the shift arms on the tranny. To get home. tried not to smoke my clutch. Hard when there are stop lights. When I got to town I got out and put it in second. Haha. Well I checked it out and here is what going on When you push the shifter forward from 4th to 3rd (when the tranny is in 4th) it will change the gear to neutral and 3rd. It will move SIDE TO SIDE in neutral. But when its in the up position 1st 3nd or 5 it wont go anywhere the shifter has play back anf forward but not side to side. It wont pull it out of gear. So if you get what I am saying and how it works the up and down shift linkage will only pull the shift arm on the tranny. It wont push on it. I know the side to side linkage is fine. I assume its the shift linkage? I dont get it. Its still works one way but just not the other. Is there any kind of pins or adjusters on the linkage that may have broke and giving it free play when it the 1st 3rd and 5th. The worse part is. Its a cavy. I knew i shouldent of got it. But I need it for school until the neon is done. Please help.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Someone help shift linkage

i dont know if the cavaliers have the ****er bushing like then eons do but you might wanan check into that...

worst case scenario....maybe you bent a shift fork...

the biggest pickle ive ever come across with any of my neons was with the 1st tranny in my red r/t....you can move the selector into every gear, and the shift arms on the tranny went into all the gears....but the tranny always stayed in 4th gear...didnt make any sense to me....
you could drive down the road at 50mph and putit into reverse...yet its still in 4th....
it just really cunfused me and i burned out the clutch trying to get the car home.....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I stopped on hills so I could start in 5th. Great a shift fork? Becuase it still shifts mine on the transmission arm. It will go into all gears fine. But the shifter will just lock side to side and move freely up and down.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if the tranny is fine then i would have no idea since i dont know anything about any other cars...just the neons

Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Well it was the shift linkage. I paid the shop do to it. Last time I go chevy. Thanks spud.

Quick Reply: Someone help shift linkage