1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Battery light

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 AM
hitandrun83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light

just took the neon out of the shop, since im working on my dakota, just put the neon in, upon pulling off the lot the battery light comes on, havnt check to see if it was under/over voltage. But i did read someone posted before stating that if you remove the positive wire off of the battery while the car was started that it should remain running, is this true? mine died shortly after removing this. hopefully it isnt the alternator, since its a $140 at autozone

Old 04-01-2008, 01:28 AM
mulletman11
All Star
Default RE: Battery light

ive heard you can connect the +battery cable to the -battery cable and jump a car w/o a battery

disconnecting it while running, im pretty sure, would stop the car, dont try it, simple circuit math

Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

your alternator is what keeps everything going while your car is on plus it charges the battery... you dont need a battery in your car to run it... just need it to start it...

so yes if you pull off your battery terminal and your car dies its the alternator...

Old 04-01-2008, 01:51 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

yes, if you remove the positive or the negative your car should stay running. This is because the alt is suppling power for ignition, if the car stops runningit could be a bad alt or bad wiring.

get your alt tested

Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 AM
mulletman11
All Star

im dumb

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
hitandrun83
Rookie

an update and a thank you guys!

i got a used alternator from the jy, guy said it tested good, slapped it in the car, had the 14.3v on it, battery light still on. ok, went and had the battery tested, battery was bad. great, just for silly **** giggles, why im there lets have you check the alt and double check the jy claim. ****! (relapses back to the night before) took the cable off the battery, car was still going! yay! good alternator good! now i dont feel bad after spending 5 fricken hours in the cold changing it out!(back to today) Now, i have a A.A.S in Electronics, so i understand the priciples of the ohms law( just not a mechanic!), you have voltage, current and resistance(or your "load"). ok, the car is the load, the voltage is coming off the alternator to charge the battery up. ok, what do you need to charge the battery with? CURRENT! hmm this is a highly reputable jy,everybody goes there! what does the current read? 15amps! good god this mf just ripped me off! the sob should be atleast 80-90 amps! arrggg

its going to be cold tommorow night! i just love dodge![&o]

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 AM
craigsharp
Rookie

I experienced a similar situation last week...
I was driving and all of a sudden my battery light came on. When i stopped at my inlaws, I turned off the car praying it would start back up. Luckily it did... Until the next day when I went to walmart so they could test it... I know I know, I shouldn't buy batteries from wally world. But anyways, they said it was fine and checked to alternator they said it was toast. They couldn't even start it to back it out of their bay. One of the mechanics looked down and said there was no alternator belt!!! I guess I lost it on the interstate the day before. So I was stranded there, luckily there was an advanced auto parts across the street, It ended up taking me and my father in-law about an hour to change out both belts. It was the first time i've ever tackled anything to that extent. What a thrill that was trying to get my not-so skinny hands into all the tight spaces.

Quick Reply: Battery light