1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

mechanical timing belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM
bvil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanical timing belt tensioner

Hello to all

This forum has a lot of valuable information so hopefully some will understand what I’m asking. I have another 1998 SOHC dodge neon and the timing belt broke (yes unfortunately I know bent valves) I purchased a head to fix that and gasket ect I’ll provide links to what I have bought for anyone to input on as to whether the head gasket looks fine or needs some sealer applied. But my question is Timing Belt Tensioner my 98 neon has a hydraulic one and I was going to retro fit a mechanical tensioner which I thought that it could be done but when I enter a auto parts store (and its been more then just one store) and ask for a mechanical timing belt tensioner that will fit a 98 dodge neon they all look at me as if they don’t have an clue too what I’m talking about so is mechanical timing belt tensioner not what that part is really called. Because once I explain they go oh I see will you can’t do that if a hydraulic comes out then a hydraulic has to go in. so should I be asking for a newer model mechanical tensioner like 2005 or 2004 I guess my question is what mechanical tensioner well fit a 98 SOHC dodge neon because no one at the parts store seem to think mechanical tensioner will fit a 98so I thought if I can just get one for another year and walk out of the parts store without all the hubbub I’ll be happy?

Links
Head
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYS...4064QQtcZphoto

Head Gasket
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-99...spagenameZWD1V

Thanks for any help (even though I know the question sounds kind of stupid)

Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: mechanical timing belt tensioner

you want to look for 03 newer sohc 2nd gen neon...

or ebay sells them tons cheaper and there just as good as what you would get from napa...

Old 04-05-2008, 12:00 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

and from what I have gathered the only mod that you will have to do to fit the newer mechanical style one is to the rear timing cover... you will have to either drill out or dremel out an area to clear the backside of where the mechanical pully bolt or whatever it is touches the backside of the cover. If you dont do this is causes noise(from what I have read).

This is the same thingI am going to do on my 96 because it seems to be less hassle to release and such than messing with the hydraulic one.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 AM
bvil

Hi and thanks
So if I got this right I can buy one or even pull one off of a 2003 or newer and it will fit as long as I modify the back of the timing cover?
And just one last thing I know this will just be an opinion and there is probably no way to really know but what would you and or others say the likelihood of the hydraulic tensioner being the cause of a timing belt braking or if you could see it I should say shredding the belt?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2008, 01:48 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

do you have pics of it and is there rubber fileings in the cover... if so where are they??? bottom top... sorta sounds more like belt walk...

Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 PM
bvil

Nope sorry didn’t take any pics at the time and just went ahead at that time and tossed the belt out and then just happened to read a bit online about the hydraulic tensioner causing the belts to shred. And remember that the belt I pulled out was rip in half and torn down the sides as if it was being turned into three thinner belts and wondered if that is what could of cause mine probably something that I’ll never know for sure.

But anyways it’s probably the smarter choice to go ahead and replace the tensioner to protect all the work that’s being done. But thanks for all the your help I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: mechanical timing belt tensioner