1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

White Smoke coming out of Wifes Valve Cover..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:15 AM
JackMehoffer69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Smoke coming out of Wifes Valve Cover..

My wife got home and she told me hersohchighline was smoking at a stop and sounded like it had a misfire and wanted to choke off when in gear.

So I look under the hood and while its running andi take the oil fill cap off and theres a white smoke coming out of there with a strong ripesmell of unburnt gas coming out of there almost like I was smelling the tail pipe of a rich burning car. I checked the oil and it was clean no foriegn objectsor coolentso I'm baffled all thoughthe oildid smell a lot like thesmoke coming out of the valve cover kinda like a hintof unburntgas. not sure what is wrong took the plugs out and they look good no fouling, took the car to autozone no codes came up even though car was misfireing.

PLEASE HELP!the car hasNKG bkr7es plugs and Autozone plug wires and new head gasket thats about 3 months old. the vapor or whatever is coming out of the valve cover does not smell sweet like antifreeze vapor does, it smells like fuelrich burningexhaust. I'm wondering if the colder ngks could be the problem?

Also i recently had the intake off and reused the old seals, could a bad intake gasket make it smoke and run like crap? i know when i ahve the breather off the valve cover it smokes would it be the same thing?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:32 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: White Smoke coming out of Wifes Valve Cover..

You don't need the colder plugs...thats for sure. Good ol' copper Champions work great!

A bad intake gasket can make the car act like its misfiring.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: das2123

You don't need the colder plugs...thats for sure. Good ol' copper Champions work great!

A bad intake gasket can make the car act like its misfiring.
Thank you very much, i had in bulkbkr7es so i put them in my wifes car as well.

so does this sound like a intake gasket problem? once it gets over 3500rpm it runs like a raped ape no hiccups nothing out of the ordinary. also when i rev the motor theres no smoke and it acts very much like when had the pcv disconnected and the motor started to smoke, but when its idleing then the smoke returns, the pcv is new i replaced it 2 weeks ago with a new hose as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:03 PM
JackMehoffer69

bump...

wife needs work car...

Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

check the injectors. make sure they are seated correctly. or it could be a bad gasket on the intake side. im pretty sure that there is an air leak somewhere and the computer is compensating for the lean condition and jamming extra fuel in there. all that extra fuel wont burn, and liquid cant compress,so its blowing by the rings.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
JackMehoffer69

Thanks,

i poured some water on the top of the intake manifold and head mating surface and found 3 smallspots where its bubbled up, i hope these leaks are the problem. i bought intake gaskets for $25 at autozone today and tomorrow i'll throw them in i'll also check the injectors.

I took the plugs out they were a kind of tan color dry but the insides looked kinda black beyond the diode. the oil has a hint of gas in it and the blow by smells like it has unburnt gasas well.

she finally addmittedtome thatshe was beating the car and showing off to her friend when the car started to run funny. i guess her friend was making fun of the car and my wife like me is very protective of the neon so you can guess the rest of what happened.

thanks again for the replies guys

Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

at least the white smoke isnt coming out of her bunghole.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

sounds like a bad valve guide in the head if its gettin into the oil yeah could be blowby but usualy blowby is from the bottom end up because the crank case is positive pressure. but if im wrong im wrong but it makes sence to me.

Quick Reply: White Smoke coming out of Wifes Valve Cover..