1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Car will start but battery light comes on,, code 41

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will start but battery light comes on,, code 41

ok well my car will start just fine and run just fine but after a little bit the check battery light will come on, i checked all the connections to the altenator and they seem to be fine.. i dont have a Volt meter to see what the battery is at when the car is on and off.. well i did a key dance thingy and got a code 41 generator Field improper switching.. and im really not sure WTF that means but i know it is saying somthing about the altenator.. tonight when i was driving home... my lights were so dim that i couldnt even see but my car never sputtered once and ran just fine.. so what is the problem.. i have it on a trickle charger right now to see what i can see tomorrow...

tell me what you think or know

thank you very much

Old 04-24-2008, 02:38 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Car will start but battery light comes on,, code 41

oh yeah its also a bran new battery because i replaced the old one cuz i figured it was just the battery.... but now im haveing the same problems...

and it gets so dead that i cant even charge my tom tom and use my radar detector at the same time.. i have to choose which one i want,,, i choose my radar .. cuz i figure i wont do the speed limit anyways even if i use my tom tom [8D] naw actually ive been pretty good at times with the new engine cuz i want to take care of it,,, but it is hard not to get on it

Old 04-24-2008, 02:31 PM
chenzo
Veteran

alternator. had the same thing with the headlights going on about a month ago. im fairly cetain it is your alternator.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

Heres the twist...

Someone, cant rememeber if it was me or josh... when removing the alternator from the 2.0 to take over to the 2.4... snipped the field wires leaving only like a 1/4 inch on both sides of the wires... After losing the plug and searching for it for about 2 hours I soldered it onto the wiring harness the best I could and taped them up...
And then when we tried starting it up for the first time there was a huge white puff of smoke that smelt like electrical... What I'm thinking that happened along with a guy i know that has mass knowledge of neons is that when we tried to start it the feild wires touched frying the alternator feild circit thats in the alternator... causing the white puff of smoke...

I fell really bad about it but I did the best I could with the 1/4th inch I had... I PM'ed Josh allready offering to send him a different alternator and I'll just cut the plug off my extra harness a ways back so he can solder it on better... I really hope this is the problem...

Old 04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
neonracer1010
All Star

check the ground on the alt.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

so do i have to switch the wires back around.. or what...

Old 04-24-2008, 04:55 PM
neonracer1010
All Star

theres a little wire on the alt. and it mite be broke it was on mine

Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

ok well my car died on the side of the road tonight while i was being pulled over... lol well they wouldnt let me drive home cuz my headlights were barely working.... so i had to leave er on the side of the road,, haha so they think.. lol so i went and got my friends car (he is at boot camp) drove to my house to get the truck to jump start it then dropped it off at my fiances house then ran back to the truck and went home...so now tomorrow i can drive my friends car into town and not worry about how im goign to get it home.. yeah i know im smart[8D]

well tomorrow im gonna swap the altenator off my green neon onto my neon.. so wish me luck

Old 04-25-2008, 07:34 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

had to go to the Jy to get the differant type of plug.. for the 96 altenator.. but it seems to be working.... thanks for helping me out

Quick Reply: Car will start but battery light comes on,, code 41