1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Transmission is rough, speedo cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 AM
bussman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is rough, speedo cuts out

Issure 1:
My girlfriend has a 1996 Neon Highline. The car is an automatic. It runs and drives fine, but when you shift the car into reverse the whole car has a bit of a shake or rumble, but it does not do this in park, drive, neutral, or anything. Does anyone know if this is common on these neons or have any suggestions. Car has 72,000 miles.

Issue:
I need a new speed sensor I am told. The problem is that the speedometer works, and then will cut out and read zero while she drives. Then maybe work again later in the day. I am looking at speed sensors online from a parts store, and they list an output sensor and an input sensor. Do I need to replace both or just one?

If I am at the front of the car looking straight down into the green box, is the speed sensor the plug right there going into the tranny from the top. If not where is it located. I am a RWD Nissan guy, FWD trannys are greek to me. Thank you for any help or advice.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Cr@zy Squ33
Default RE: Transmission is rough, speedo cuts out

Issue 1:

Sounds to me like you need to service the tranny. When was the last time you checked the fluid level? As for it being a common problem? No. It's not a common problem. It only becomes a problem when it hasn't been taken care of. I'd really drop the pan and service the tranny. Change the filter, fluid, adjust the reverse bands and the kickdown bands.

Issue 2:

You don't need a speed snesor. Neons do have a common problem with their gauge clusters. You need to reflow some solder traces to correct that problem. And if you don't know how to solder the guage clusters are plug & play so you can get one out of a car in the junk yard and swap them out.

The traces inside the yellow circles are what you are going to have to re-flow.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:17 AM
bussman

Thanks for the input. Any ideas on how much a shop would charge for the tranny work you suggested?

Old 01-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Cr@zy Squ33

Between $80 and I want to say $200.

Quick Reply: Transmission is rough, speedo cuts out