1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

dohc head on sohc block

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 04:51 AM
FallnLord
Default dohc head on sohc block

what kind of power am i looking at if i put a DOHC head onto my SOHC block? n that would mean i have 2 have 2 cams as well right?

Old 05-20-2008 | 05:55 AM
JackMehoffer69
Default RE: dohc head on sohc block

ORIGINAL: FallnLord

DOHC head onto my SOHC block? n that would mean i have 2 have 2 cams as well right?

Your not serious are you? about needing 2 cams with a dohc head? No brainer. DUH.

To answer both your questions, You will have lower power or about the same as the listed power for the sohcbecause compression will be lower with the DOHC head because DOHC heads have a bigger combustions chamber and SOHC equipedblocks have dished pistons.

Power will be around 135-140hp, any advantage you would get from the dohc would be a waste with sohc pistons, your better off putting a sohc head on a dohc block thats the only time you gain power with stock for stock parts. You'll feel slower yet because your using sohc gearing which is dog waterslow for either motor.

If you had to put a motor togetherwith maximum power in mind and all you had were stock parts the clear answer would be to use a sohc head(prefferably 95 sohcbecause has it hasbetter cam) with a "dohc" block because dohc motors have a slight dome to their pistons and would give the sohc more compression. Then use a 52mm Throttlebody found on all ATX equiped Neons outside of California and you have a 150+hp motor.

DOHC motors are great when you plan on spending alot ofmoney but for near stock the sohc is a more streetable option. Supporting modifications is where its at and frankly you can build a faster sohc Neon using stock parts, the key word is stock parts so don't think I'm saying the sohc is better cuz I'm not I think the dohc is better but not until you throw good cash at it.

DOHC and SOHC blocks are the same block just different pistons and even then the pistons only differ in have either a dome or dish.

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:30 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Default RE: dohc head on sohc block

the only advantage to throwing a dohc head on a sohc block is if your planning on doing a turbo setup....the lower compression would help you then

Quick Reply: dohc head on sohc block