1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

hey i got a problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:12 PM
casper
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hey i got a problem :(

It is gonna get worse, and could go at any time. But just be easy with the car and you should be ok.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:15 PM
savage_RT
Rookie

ok thanx mayne imma get it checked tuesday and see if i can get another tranny friday blah dammit o wells better than it takin a **** on tha freeway lol

Old 01-16-2005, 10:22 PM
casper
Legend

No it won't be that bad, its just gonna get harder to get into gear. If I remember right there is a syncro for each gear, correct me iof i'm wrong, so all you would lose is 3rd. But the trans probally is not too healthy though, posibly metal chips in there, cause of the bad syncro and grinding gears.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:42 AM
savage_RT
Rookie

o i see,but i wasnt grindin but i know i would punch it,but thats what i get i just learn from my mistakes and move on

Old 01-17-2005, 02:27 PM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: savage_RT

well i got a 98 neon rt and all gears shift fine except for 3rd,when i put it in 3rd it scratches before stickin into 3rd,would you know whats wrong ?
thats what I meant by grinding, sorry bad choice of words. You have to push on the shifter hard and hold it there for a minute to get it into gear and you hear a sound like it is speeding up the gear to get it in right?

Old 01-17-2005, 04:50 PM
savage_RT
Rookie

yeah thats about tha esiest way to say it

Old 01-17-2005, 05:58 PM
casper
Legend

Yep thats definatlly the syncros. Just go easy on the car and you should be fine for a while. Other than being annoyed.

Old 01-19-2005, 01:44 AM
01NeonR/T
Rookie

had a 94 Integra with a bad synchro on 3rd gear... stayed together pretty well up until I hit it with a wall. That was fun.... ;-)

Old 01-19-2005, 03:39 AM
ewetho
All Star

A little info on a manual trans for ya..

believe it or not when you shift into a new gear 1-2, 2-3, etc. you are not moving or sliding any of the gears in the tranny. You are only moving the sychros. When the syncros get slid over the lock the shaft to the gear you want and allow the power to be transmitted. Yep all the gears are in constant mesh and rotate freely on the output shaft. So if one gear is grinding it is the sychro teeth rinding into mesh. Basically the friction ring/cone is not sychronizing the speeds properly between the gear being selected and the ouput shaft. Thus when the foced all the way over the teeth that lock the unit togeter clash and GRIND.

So time for a synchro.

How long will it last as is who knows. Watch racing and some people have a bad trans got 2 laps or dye in the pits and other finish races. You may find that you loose 3rd altogether. You friction cone seems to be the problem.

Old 01-19-2005, 04:43 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: ewetho

A little info on a manual trans for ya..

believe it or not when you shift into a new gear 1-2, 2-3, etc. you are not moving or sliding any of the gears in the tranny. You are only moving the sychros. When the syncros get slid over the lock the shaft to the gear you want and allow the power to be transmitted. Yep all the gears are in constant mesh and rotate freely on the output shaft. So if one gear is grinding it is the sychro teeth rinding into mesh. Basically the friction ring/cone is not sychronizing the speeds properly between the gear being selected and the ouput shaft. Thus when the foced all the way over the teeth that lock the unit togeter clash and GRIND.

So time for a synchro.

How long will it last as is who knows. Watch racing and some people have a bad trans got 2 laps or dye in the pits and other finish races. You may find that you loose 3rd altogether. You friction cone seems to be the problem.
Yeah and the 3rd gear syncros are bad, just what I said. I just gave it in a simple explination.

Quick Reply: hey i got a problem :(