1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Shaking and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:58 PM
jshuttle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking and other stuff

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I need some advice. I have a 1995 dodge Neon that is having issues with its driveability. It started a couple of weeks ago when I would hear a groaning sound coming from my front right wheel area whenever I would take my foot off the brake while stopped. Lately. the car doesn't seem to want to stop when I put it in park, instead making that same groaning sound and rolling forward maybe an inch or so before stopping. What's more, at the end of a long car ride where I use my brakes a lot, my car will make a jerking motion upon releasing the brake, like it rolls forward normally for a second, then drags, rolls normal, then drags. Yet when I park the car, and leave it for a minute, then drive it the jerking motion isn't there. I popped the tire off and put the car in neutral, I could turn the wheels assembly by hand, but it would stick in one spot. After tugging the rotor and break assembly back and forth (neither one of which moves on the other side, it was rolling fine, until about two days later when it started up. I don't have the money for expensive repairs. Could it be a sticking caliper, or something else?

Old 06-26-2008, 04:48 AM
JackMehoffer69
Default RE: Shaking and other stuff

ORIGINAL: jshuttle

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I need some advice. I have a 1995 dodge Neon that is having issues with its driveability. It started a couple of weeks ago when I would hear a groaning sound coming from my front right wheel area whenever I would take my foot off the brake while stopped. Lately. the car doesn't seem to want to stop when I put it in park, instead making that same groaning sound and rolling forward maybe an inch or so before stopping. What's more, at the end of a long car ride where I use my brakes a lot, my car will make a jerking motion upon releasing the brake, like it rolls forward normally for a second, then drags, rolls normal, then drags. Yet when I park the car, and leave it for a minute, then drive it the jerking motion isn't there. I popped the tire off and put the car in neutral, I could turn the wheels assembly by hand, but it would stick in one spot. After tugging the rotor and break assembly back and forth (neither one of which moves on the other side, it was rolling fine, until about two days later when it started up. I don't have the money for expensive repairs. Could it be a sticking caliper, or something else?
I know this sounds crazy but check your front motor/transmission mount at the block side of the mount (top). I had this problem of putting the car in park and having it roll forward a foot till it engaged, in reality it was engaged its just that extra foot was the motor tilting due to the mount being broke. If left unfixed it could smash your transmission pan into the k frame and screw your pan up where it will leak.

My mount broke off the top 2 bolts and was pivoting off the transmission. I too had the mysterious wobble off the right front sometimes while driving 80% of the time its not there but its there enough to know. I am replacing my broken mount tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out!

I must note this is the second broken mount in a year for me on the same car! Lucky at most junkyards going rate is $15 for the mount and its about a 45 minute job.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might wanna check into getting the rotors turned, new pads, and grease up the slider bolts on the caliper

Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
jshuttle

I need to do something, because before, I'd have to push the brake pedal halfway to the floor to get the car to stop. This morning, the brakes started grabbing after barely touching the pedal, so I'm pretty sure if the pad and rotor aren't in direct contact already, they're reall, really close.

Quick Reply: Shaking and other stuff