1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
expresso
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI?

OK, ontomy next project...I have read up on the old topics about a CAI for a ATX.Which confuses me there was alot of talk about the tranny being a factor, which I did not think that mattered at all. I am pretty sure you can use a MTX or a ATX CAI right?

I was looking at AEM CAI but they only have them for dodge applications. I am not sure what the comparison is between the engine compartment of a dodge compared to a plymouth. But anyways I was looking to buy a CAI and yes I know you can make one. I am guessing no matter what I buy I am going to have to put a coupler onto the TB to make it a appropriate size for the pipe.

Any Suggestions or experience?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CAI?

no difference between the Plymouth and Dodge. now then though, spending your money on the AEM isn't worth it. you can make a 3.0L intake for less than $40-$50.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
fsu182
Captain

yeah - get some tubing off a 3.0l v6 and makethe intake yourself. i think the TB outside diameter is 2.5"i custom made mine with some flexible tubing - but it doesnt look very good. so you have a DOHC with an atx? gl with that.

no matter where you put the air intake - just look at it. factory it warms the air first by pulling it over the valve cover - then again by bringing over the exhaust manifold, then more heat next to the cylinder head before entering the TB. down between the trans and radiator is where most customs CAI's go and its better than factory.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

definately dont use the aem, its a hot air intake

for comparison, a while back i measured the temps at the location of the aem/k&n, the stock airbox, and the 3.0/iceman/kirk

the outside air temps were 70 degrees F

the temp at the aem/k&n location was 170 degrees F after 15 mins on the freeway

the temp in the stock airbox was 155 degrees F during the same drive

the temp at the 3.0/iceman/kirk location was 90 degrees

thats driving at 75 on the freeway, in town the first two temps would be significantly higher while the temp below the battery would be slightly higher, keep in mind this is with a stick shift, but no matter what, even with how hot a atx tranny gets, the temp above the header is going to be worse

you really cant experience what that 60mm throttle body will do until you put a 3.0 on there

Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
3rd white
Rookie

the easiest way to do it is to get a cheepie from ebay and work it down beneath the car. mine is behind the lf tire and pressed against the trans but it gets cold air. the only time i put it over the headers is over winter so i dont get salt and crap in it.