1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

WTF IS WRONG NOW!! STARTER MAYBE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF IS WRONG NOW!! STARTER MAYBE?

ok well as most of you know my trans and clutch are all fked UP so when i go to go into first i have to shut off my car.. well today when headed to the lake i took a wrong turn and i went to put it into first and couldnt get my car to start up.. so a state trooper stopped to help and he took me up to walmart and i got a new battery we got back to the car hooked up the battery and the car started right up well i left the car running and went back to his truck and got directions and stuff he took off i went to go and remembering i cant put it into first without shutting it off i shut it down and it kinda just chugged and wouldnt start so another guy stopped by with jump cables and tried giving us a jump and that didnt work.. so he said well what if i help push you and i said ok so we got going and i tried the whole drop the clutch in second and it starts well that didnt work so he took off and i was way up a hill and my bro and sisters were at teh bottom so i started rolling backwards and just for ****s and giggles i dropped it into reverse and dropped the clutch and it started right up. but then it died when i tried to shift into 1st (without shutting down) well my dad finally showed up and we tried jumping it again with no success. but then i tried starting it again and it started right up.. so we took off and about 5 miles later i had to stop and my car shuts down cuz the clutch is all fked up so it trys to keep driving and stop at the same time as if i was just going to slow for the gear. so i killed it in the middle of the street well my bro and his friend get out and push it and it started right up (push starting it) and we had to do that a couple more times..

so is this the starter i was under the impression that if its the starter nothing happens but it still acts like it wants to start... it just doesnt go all the way..

oh yeah another thing i have one of the valve cover breathers and when we were cranking on it black puffs of smoke were coming out...

so summary it will start when it wants to and push start almost every time..

and for my understanding the started turns the fly wheel or somethign and gets everthing going so is it the starter???

Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: WTF IS WRONG NOW!! STARTER MAYBE?

Sounds kind of like a bad connection. Sorry to thread jack. But do you have jeremys number?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:13 AM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

i do not have his number and i checked all the connections i can think of...

Old 07-12-2008, 12:21 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

it sounds like the starter is either loose and not coming in contact with the flexplate or the starter is dead...

you really need to get that trans off and find out whats going on... I know we tq'ed everything down tight so my thoughts at this point is the fork or the Throw out bearing not realeaseing all the way...

The black puff of smoke could be from a couple things but the transmission is your main problem right now...

Quick Reply: WTF IS WRONG NOW!! STARTER MAYBE?