1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New Engine, honestly how much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 01:10 PM
98neon_r/t
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine, honestly how much?

I found a 00 Dodge Stratus DOHC 2.4L for 400 bucks. I'm new to working on cars and I don't know much AT ALL. I can do oil, plug, wires, brakes, air filter...thats about it. So my question is how much estimated cost do you all think it would be to have someone do the engine swap from a 2.0L DOHC? Anyone from the Columbus, OH area that knows how to do the swap? Also, it's a A/T.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 PM
fsu182
Captain
Default RE: New Engine, honestly how much?

who swaps a 2.4 into a3sp atx car? if you arent going to swap to an mtx than i dunno why you'd do it.

most shops wont do the swap. it requires a few hints of custom fabrication. if they will it'll probably be a lot. i got charged 300 just to change a head and a t-belt when i didnt know my engine well enough. since then (february) - i rebuilt the entire engine at a labor cost of $0 - myself. it was a learning process but between this site and a haynes manual you can do it.

i havent heard of too many ppl taking their neons to be 2.4 swapped. most people either know someone that will do it and can, or they learn themselves. either way plan on losing your car at least a weekend. probably longer if you dont have everything perfectly planned.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM
98neon_r/t

thanks for the reply...I guess i need to do more research. I heard alot of people go to the 2.4

what do you suggest to make the car more "peppy"

Old 07-19-2008, 10:03 PM
fsu182
Captain

so you have a DOHC with an auto trans (atx) correct? its hard to make an atx DOHC car quicker.its a bad combo. the DOHC isnt out of its powerband and ur car doesnt want to let it rev anymore. swapping to a manual would make a big difference. if you dont want to do that - ur new to under the hood work - start simple

re-work that air intake, search "cold air intake" to see what to stay away from. maybe look at a header.

http://www.allpar.com/neon/performance.html- read that if you havent already

Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 PM
98neon_r/t

Ok thanks, I will look into the site and let you know if I have any questions.

Quick Reply: New Engine, honestly how much?