1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

any 1 know y?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 10:22 PM
streetracer88
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently broke my radiator cap and replaced it with a new one and is it possible this one is not sealing and air is getting in there?because i just remembered i didnt have this problem till after i broke the original cap is this a possibility?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

If the car isnt hot or over heating when its bubbling it means bad coolant circulation, to much water, faulty coolant, coolant leak. The coolant needs to be pressurized to cool properly. Usually the water pump makes a whining noise or leaks coolant when bad.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 PM
streetracer88
All Star

i just had it replaced and its not overheating or anything so it most likely is a sign that the headgasket is going bad?

Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the hose going from the thermostat housing to the overflow tank...if there is a tiny pin hole in the hose or a small leak sumwhere, it will cause the coolant in the overflow tank to bubble...

fyi: when coolant heats up, it expands...thus making pressure in an enclosed area...the thermostat cap is rated at 16psi.. once the pressure in the cooling system reaches 16psi, the cap opens, letting coolant flow into the overflow tank.....as the pressure goes down, the coolant is then pulled from the overflow tank back into the cooling system..

the pressure is made automatically...and the pressure cap works as a safety device....it isnt done to cool properly

Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

The radiator cap is designed to hold a certain pressure in the coolant system. Most caps hold 8 - 12 PSI. This pressure raises the point in which the coolant will boil and maintains a stable system. If your cap does not hold pressure, then the car could overheat on hot days since the system never becomes pressurized.

Thats straight fact that the pressure rises the boiling point of coolant. I learned that in 9th grade.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM
streetracer88
All Star

ok so its not the cap thats bad?I just thought it was because it never happened until after i changed the cap out thanks ill try replacing the radiator hoses then i will let you guys know how it goes