1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

'96 Neon charging light and battery discharge

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 PM
spydie53
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Neon charging light and battery discharge

Have replaced alternator. Battery now charges but charging light is still on
Also the battery will spontaneously discharge over night. The radio will come on occasionally as well as the clock.
Is there a voltage regulator within the cars electrical system other than the one in the alternator?
One other thing. The left low beam doesn't work. Replaced bulb, but same problem.
Could it be a relay?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

have you ever put aftermarket bulbs in your car of a higher wattage? you may have melted the wiring harnes just before it enters the bulb socket. as for your discharge check your trunk like to make sure it is turning off when you close it and if you have a hood light do the same. The radio thing; is that when you want it to come on and it does not while your driving?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
spydie53
Default Radio

Occasional the clock will come on and sometimes the radio works.
Obviously the clock is always hot.
I suppose it could be a loose wire, but because of the inconsistency, I think it could be some sort of relay.
And the charging light still stays on.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

I pretty sure the PCM Controls volatge

I had a power drain at one point, when it happening to me it was killing the battery in a day. There are two ways to find the power drain one is with a amp meter. You wire it in series with your ground cable (with the car off) and pull fuses and relays until you meter shows that the car is not drawing power. I did not have an amp meter but i had a volt meter, so withthe car shut off i attach the volt meter to the battey (parallel) and you sould see the voltage slowly droping, when you pull the right fuse or relay the voltage should go back up. For me it was a relay in the fuse box next to the drivers seat.I have looked in the hayes manul andI couldnt find what this mystery relay did.

Quick Reply: '96 Neon charging light and battery discharge