1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

1995 Automatic to Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM
$100 neon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Automatic to Manual Swap

Hello all, I could use some help. I am the proud owner of 2 1995 neons. One is a 5 speed manual 2.0 with over 260000 miles. The body is shot on this one.

The other (I have not got it home yet) is a 2.0 I think, I know it is a 3 speed auto. I've not heard good things about these transmissions. This car has 122000 miles and the body is great. Interior is great too.

I plan to change the timing belt, water pump and head gasket on the 122000 mile motor just to head off any big problems down the road. I did that to the manual transmission 60000 miles ago and have not had any problems since.

I'd like to take my manual transmission and put it in the automatic car. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 PM
chenzo
Veteran

I dont know about doin it on the neon. i converted my buddies geo metro from auto to manual and it wasnt too bad. so good luck!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:12 PM
$100 neon

I have found several sites that talk thru the process. One thing i don't know about is a pilot bushing in the rear of the crank. In the 60's and 70's if I was switching from a Auto to Manual I had to make sure the crankshaft would accept a pilot bushing for the manual trans input shaft. this is my first FWD swap. Who can tell me if I need a pilot bushing and I'm guessing the Automatic trans engine crankshaft is interchangeable with no problems.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Dazzellerr
Veteran

no need to swap pilot bearings. what might be a better alternative is to just swap over the engine and trans with the harness and cables and pedals. i know the manual motor has alot of miles, but just freshen it up a bit with a new headgasket along with the timing belt, water pump ect like you were going to do with the lower mileage one. you will need to swap axles out too i believe. if you do it as one unit, less stuff to take apart and put back together.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

The passenger side cv is different (longer one). Pedals are not fun to remove and swap. Dont forget ur shifter assembly, reverse light switch, shift cables, clutch cable, ecu, flywheel. When I did mine I had the issue of the ignition not sending a signal to the starter to crank it. its something to do with the atx column park safety switch. I used a push button to start the car. I never did try to hook the reverse lights up. Its not the greatest thing to do. But in the end it will be completely worth it. WHen you do it set both your motors to tdc and mark your flywheels. Like I said the worse part for me was fighting the pedals out of the cars. They are super super super glued to the backing material.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:18 AM
$100 neon

I've got both cars at home, they look like twins in the driveway. I may just fix the brakes and oil leaks and drive the automatic for a few months to make sure all is ok. It sure is a better looking car than the one I have been driving.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the auto transmissions in the neons are very durable and dependable....

Quick Reply: 1995 Automatic to Manual Swap