1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Please need help, car wont drive anymore after 3 miles !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Mipos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please need help, car wont drive anymore after 3 miles !!

I owm a Dodge Neon 4 cyl SOHC year 1997. Yesterday the following problem started with the automatic transmission : I drive the car in D, after about three miles it stops driving, no reverse, no drive, no 2 or L. Even if I give more throtle, the car don't move at all. I switch the engine off, wait for 10 seconds, turn it on and she drives again for about one mile, then I have the same problem. I have to do the same procudure to get it driving again. About two weeks ago I changed the ATF filter and oil, because I had a leaking seal at one of the tripods. I used the correct Chrysler ATF oil. Who can help ??

Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the level?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Mipos

yes ive checked the level it is between the add and full checked it with the car in drive position.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:17 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

Fluid levels change when in different gears. Check in park not drive. Check the fluid type, it must be ATF+4. It will take time for the fluid to get thru all the working parts in the tranny. So you must drive and check, drive and check like 4 times. When you pull back into drive each time, go thru all gears RND21.

If that doesn't help, pull the pan and make sure your filter is on tight. Then, redo everything above. If that still doesn't help, you may have a weak tranny pump. Take it somewhere and have the pressure tested. Hope that helps.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

I went thru the exact same thing before when putting in my shift kit. I was all pissed and kept thinking I screwed up, but the whole time, the fluid was the wrong type and level! I also forgot to plug in the overdrive connector! So yeah..

Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 PM
ohioguru
Veteran

check cables?

Quick Reply: Please need help, car wont drive anymore after 3 miles !!