1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help with clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
chief135smitty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with clutch

I just put a new motor in my neon and went to put it in gear to drive it out of the garage and nothing. I can select any gear with the engine running, but when I release the clutch to move nothing happens. Also, I can put the car in any gear and I can push the car like it is in neutral. The clutch cable appears to connected properly. When you push in the clutch you can see the fork move in and out. Could I have f'd up when I installed the clutch? Also, the throwout bearing makes a squeaking noise until you slightly tap the clutch pedal.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
chief135smitty
Amateur

I installed a new clutch, is it possible to adust the clutch cable?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
fsu182
Captain

modular or non-modular clutch? since ur asking and since its not working im guess non modular. are you sure you used the right size bolts when installing the pressure plate? it sounds like the pressure plate is too far back. the clutch pedal is self-adjusting so thats probably not the issue. look through the inspection hole to see if the clutch looks like its against the pressure plate, or if there is space there. if there is space then the clutch is ridiculously shot or you used the wrong bolts/didnt tight them far enough/ didnt tighten them in the criss-cross pattern you were supposed to. its going to really suck to have to get back in there after you got it back together as far as you have. trust me. ive been there. except i couldnt get the damn thing to disengage. as appose to your problem - where it wont engage.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:53 PM
chief135smitty
Amateur

I have a modular clutch and I have already taken everything apart to verify the clutch assy. was installed correctly. I put it all back together and still have the problem. Everything is installed properly. Could I have the wrong clutch? That is the only thing I can think of. When the engine is running and I put it in gear and let out the clutch you can hear it barely grab. It appears that there is to much space between the clutch and flywheel assy and the throwout bearing. I am stumped.

Quick Reply: Help with clutch