1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

do i have enough backpressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008 | 09:20 AM
justinsanders
|
Captain
Default do i have enough backpressure?

i have a longtube header which means i have no cat and 2.5¨ piping to a dynomax. i was wondering if that actually flows too much. i was also wanting to get a srt rear section which means no mufflers. is there enough backpressure in just the piping for the srt rear section or should i add a resonator or would that even help?

Old 12-03-2008 | 10:24 AM
spudsterier
Legend

with the srt rear section, i dont think back pressure will be your biggest issue, i would worry more about the tone

Old 12-03-2008 | 10:57 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

No, you're fine. With the mods to your motor 2.5 exhaust is right on, 3" exhaust is where you should worry about lack of backpressure. So long as you have a muffler and conservative header primaries like 1 5/8 or 1 3/4, you'll be fine. I bet it sounds great too, what header are you using?

I wonder, why are you concerned with backpressure anyway? Are you worried about the noise level or the performance???

Old 12-03-2008 | 02:55 PM
justinsanders
|
Captain

i like the way the srt rear section sounds on my friends cavalier but everything else about the exhaust is stock but of course i dont. and im using the obx long tube header 4 to 1. idk what size those pipes are on the header tho. i was just conserned about the performance i wanted to make sure its enough backpressure. my car sounds really deep but i want something thats a little louder and has a meaner sound. any suggestions on that? but how loud would the srt section be with my set up and would it sound bad? should i add a resonator if i end up doing that?

Old 12-03-2008 | 07:10 PM
spudsterier
Legend

your friend put an srt rear section on a cavalier?

with a header, no cat, and an srt rear section, you car will be very loud and raspy....
if you want a rough idea, just disconnect the exhaust pipe from your header and thats basically what its going to sound like

Old 12-03-2008 | 10:46 PM
justinsanders
|
Captain

lol yea he did and i was mad cuz i wanted one but ok ill try maybe using a resonator before the rear section maybe that'll help thanks

Old 12-03-2008 | 11:21 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

a friend of mine took a rear disk setup from a Neon and put it on his Cav....

Old 12-04-2008 | 10:08 AM
spudsterier
Legend

i still have the srt rear section from my old r/t hanging on the wall in my garage...plan on selling it, but dont really wanna try to ship it

Old 12-04-2008 | 01:18 PM
chenzo
Veteran

How Much you want for it spud? Im only a couple hours away, if the price is right, I may be interested.

Old 12-05-2008 | 01:07 PM
spudsterier
Legend

well, i welded new hangers onto the pipes so that the stock 1st gen hangers can be used and i trimmed off a little of the pipe so it was easier to align with the stock pipe...the bottom of the chrome tips has a bit of rough spots from gravel flying up and hitting them....nothing major and nothing really noticable..it cleans up real nice..
$50

Quick Reply: do i have enough backpressure?